GE Circuit Panel - THQP Double Pole

Old 01-15-11, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Circuit Panel - THQP Double Pole

Hi there..

I'm currently wiring for a Theater Room I'm building in my basement. I have two GE Panels (TLM2415 - Mod 6) that accepts THQP breakers at the last 12 slots on each panel. I added a GE 20amp double pole (THQL2120) earlier this year for a Air Compressor thats located at the bottom slots that can be used for THQP's as well. In order to make more room, I purchased a THQP220 double pole thin to replace the breaker for the compressor. Because of a thin piece of metal at the bottom end of the breaker (not the metal piece that fits on the panel bar), it will not install correctly in the panel. GE Single/Double pole THQL's and single pole THQP's don't have this metal contact and fit in perfectly.

Is there a different THQP double-pole that could fit this panel or it just doesn't accept THQP double-pole????..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-11, 10:02 AM
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
As far as I know, there is only one THQP double pole design. Can you move the THQP double pole up one space? (approximately 3/8") If so, that would leave room for one THQP single pole breaker below it. Keep in mind that a THQP double pole must be installed to pick up power from each busbar.

Old 01-16-11, 12:34 PM
Yes GE only makes the one style of THQP. You have two - 120volt spaces left rather than one two pole space as mentioned due to previous installations of breakers. You may be able to move a couple around, or, do Like I had to and add another single pole THQP(replace a full size THQL) close by to free up another spot.

Old 01-17-11, 12:07 PM
Due to the small metal piece at the end of the THQL220, it won't install correctly on the other bus bar. I tried to install this breaken on the last 12 slots which are made for THQP breakers as well with no luck. Here is more info. on the panel.. DEH-40537 PowerMark Gold. The only thing I haven't tried is placing this breaker in a slot designed only for THQL breakers..

Old 01-17-11, 02:10 PM
You are still putting the breaker in the wrong slot....Those slots will let you put a single pole THQP anywhere in the bottom area but only a few 2 poles. What you are doing is aligning the metal clip with the small indentation on the panel where the clip is now hittng metal. The slot is not large enough and it is done on purpose. If you plug into that you would get only 120volts. Make sure the metal clip is aligned with the large opening on the side of the panel and it goes right in. It might seem odd but that is what you have to do. I just looked at ours here in stock.

Old 01-17-11, 02:46 PM
I tried to find some kind of installation help online but GE did not show anything I could locate. I suspect you see the small cut away slots and think the metal tab goes into that, but move it up or down until it fits in the large slot, then your breaker will snap into the correct buss slots. You have to put single poles betwen the doubles when you want more circuits...adding two on top on one another not possible. Space savers can be a pain to deal with.

Old 01-17-11, 03:12 PM
if the handels are tied together,that is a 240 only.they will only go in certain positions.you can get the double thqp that is for seperate 120.

Old 01-19-11, 04:08 PM
There are no cut away slots for the small metal clip to fit into. I think this panel is designed for single pole THQP at the bottom only. The panel drawing shows "A/B" in the THQP slots which makes me think its only for singles.

Old 01-19-11, 07:02 PM
No such thing. All THQP's will fit but the two poles only fit certain spots. Hard to describe what I was looking at without pics but your breaker will fit as long as there is a two pole spot available. There is no special cutaway for these per se, but if you look at the outside area where breaker should clip before clipping onto the buss you should see small cut aways and large cutaways. The 2 pole breaker would slide into that and then clip onto buss. Maybe I can take a pic of the panel we have on display in the morning and post it perhaps.....

Old 01-19-11, 07:21 PM
Sorry, had to cut the last post off (was playing poker. LOL). The powermark gold is a recent panel and I have one here in my own house (TM2420C) and I have added several space savers so I know they can be a bit of a pain. I do not know how much room you have left at the bottom but if you have other breakers there a double pole can be a pain as I have had to move breakers around to make room for them. The little clips that the buss connects to MUST hit on two different "fingers" to pick up 240V and the other end slides into the larger opening on the outside of the mounting area. Might be hard to see this if panel is full or close to full. Mine is to full I could never take a pic properly to show you. I have a similar panel on display at work and will attempt to take some pics on the insides and show you where these mount to .

Old 01-20-11, 08:18 AM
GE THQP pictures by JSGOLD2009 - Photobucket

see if this helps....one of the pics is a little fuzzy. Bottom line, your breaker will fit as long as there are openings for the two pole breaker. Might have to move something around if box is near full.

Old 01-20-11, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the pics JE. By looking at your first pic, I see the actual slit or hole you where talking about earlier. For example, in your first pic at the 1" emply slot on the left I see a small hole where the small metal clip on the back of the breaker could be inserted. The 4th pic I see the standard metal connections for the breaker but didn't see the small metal piece since they are both on the same side of the breaker...

Old 01-20-11, 02:08 PM
If you are talking about the identations where the back side of panel is, the small hole is actually NOT for the THQP, which confuses people. That is what I was trying to describe in an earlier post. The THQP actually slides into the area with the plastic divider and the back side clips into the larger open area. If you line the breaker up with the plastic divider you should be good to go. GE used to have a conventional space saver breaker like Cutler hammer and others but opted for this series for reasons I can't imagine. I had to shift several breakers around in my own panel just to add another 2 pole last year.