Circuits go off

Old 01-17-11, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuits go off

For the second time several of the circuits in my home went off. I reset all the breakers with no effect. Reset the main with no effect. Like the last time about a week ago, suddenly with no further action about half an hour after my efforts all the circuits came back on. Other circuits were not affected. Breakers nor home location are not near each other. Some circuits had no load, some minor load like a night light, one had a tv running, none had significant loads.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-11, 03:11 AM
those circuits are off again so whatever the problem it seems to be getting worse. any ideas? While the oven timer is on the heating elements do not work properly. Could this be a power company issue?

Breakers are not hot. No scorching or visible signs of any problem inside the breaker box. Circuits that were off are randomly located in Challenger breaker box.

Last edited by edneedshelp; 01-17-11 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 05:40 AM
Spunds like you have one of the two main phases losing power. The problem is either in the transformer, meter, or main breaker. It's time for professional help.

Old 01-17-11, 05:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If these circuits are contained to one side of your breaker panel, then it could be on the POCO side, whether it be one leg of a transformer or other problem. I would definitely call them first. They are responsible for the power to your meter. Once they have either confirmed their stuff is OK, or fixed it, you can move on. Inside a breaker panel can be daunting, so if you have any reservations about what to do inside one, please call an electrician to check things out.

Old 01-17-11, 10:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to be clear call the power company emergency number now. Do not wait, do not call the business office. Turn off the breakers for all 240v equipment. Unplug any sensitive electronics.