My first GFCI breaker

Old 01-17-11, 08:20 AM
DLH
My first GFCI breaker

I decided to replace the breaker that feeds my 55 gallon aquarium with a GFCI. When I turned the power back on it tripped immediately. After going around the house and unplugging every thing we could find on that circuit, even checked the doorbell transformer, it still tripped. With the black wire removed from the circuit and nothing as far as I could tell plugged in, I checked the resistance between the black wire and the neutral buss in the service panel and got 530 ohms. Is that reading normal? I was getting tired so I didn't unplug all the loads from another circuit to see what I would get.

My house was built in 1954. The service was up dated about 30 years ago by a licensed electrician.

DLH

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-11, 08:32 AM
It could be a wire pinched against a box or something of that nature.

Old 01-17-11, 08:49 AM
is breaker wired correctly?ckt neutral goes to brkr and white pig tail on brkr goes to neutral buss.if that is good,a neutral to ground short at one of the recps.

Old 01-17-11, 10:34 AM
DLH
Originally Posted by oleguy View Post
is breaker wired correctly?ckt neutral goes to brkr and white pig tail on brkr goes to neutral buss.if that is good,a neutral to ground short at one of the recps.
Oleguy

I read your reply 2 or 3 times before I realized what you were asking. You were right about the neutral wire from the load going to breaker. Looking at the instructions I must have missed that. I thought that the terminal on the breaker was for a neutral wire to the neutral buss if the included white wire did not reach. I'm sure that was the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Still don't understand that 530 ohms that I measured. Must have missed something.

DLH

Old 01-17-11, 04:48 PM
Is everything good, then?

Old 01-17-11, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
I would have saved the $30 an installed a GFCI receptacle where the fish tank was plugged into.

Old 01-18-11, 07:26 AM
If his outlet is behind the fish tank, he had to use the gfci breaker. Cant just slide 55 gallons of tank out of the way, to wire in a gfci receptacle.

Old 01-25-11, 01:04 PM
DLH
I finally got someone to holed the flashlight for me. I wire it the proper way and now the problem is different. When I turn the breaker on it holds for about 4 or 5 seconds then trips. Whats going on now?

Like buzz_mn_58 said I can't get to the outlet behind the aquarium. I got one behind the entertainment center. No way are you going to move that. I got one behind the couch. That may be a possibility. And of course behind the tank which I could reach to reset it but the tank would have to moved to install the GFCI.

Besides those reasons there's another consideration. When my house was built they used the smallest boxes they could find. When I installed the GFCI in the bathroom, I almost had a stroke.

DLH

Old 01-25-11, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by DLH View Post
I finally got someone to holed the flashlight for me. I wire it the proper way and now the problem is different. When I turn the breaker on it holds for about 4 or 5 seconds then trips. Whats going on now?
Is this with everything unplugged from the circuit and lights switched off?

When my house was built they used the smallest boxes they could find. When I installed the GFCI in the bathroom, I almost had a stroke.
You can cut the old box nails off with a hacksaw blade, slide the box out and replace with a deep old-work box.

Old 01-25-11, 01:28 PM
Just a shot in the dark but is there a timer plugged in at the fish tank. Sometimes timers and GFI breakers dont get along too well..

Old 01-26-11, 09:19 AM
DLH
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did not try unplugging everything this time. I have no timers on the circuit but I do have a florescent light in the hood that's exposed to the moisture of the tank. I thought that the ballast would isolate the light from the rest of the circuit.

If it gets that far I'll look into replacing one of the outlet boxes with a deeper one.

DLH

Old 01-27-11, 12:07 PM
DLH
Thought maybe I should explain that the ballast is not mounted with the light and exposed to moisture but in a box on a shelf under the tank.

DLH