2 pole se rated disconnect between meter& main breaker?

Old 01-17-11, 02:04 PM
2 pole se rated disconnect between meter& main breaker?

I will be using a C-H 200A DPDT disconnect as a manual transfer switch 200 Amp Generator Manual Transfer Switch and I need to know if the NEC allows me to run 2/0 between the meter (spliced inside the existing c-h 200A loadcenter), through 2" schedule 40 pvc to the xfer switch, then from the xfer switch, through 2" schedule 40 pvc back into the existing loadcenter and to the existing 200A main breaker. The xfer switch will be in the garage less than 5' from the loadcenter. This would obviously mean NO CIRCUIT PROTECTION from the meter through the xfer switch until reentering the load center. If this does not meet code, what about stuffing the main breaker INTO the xfer switch box and using the loadcenter WITHOUT a main breaker? Also, does NEC allow me to put current transformers on the hotwires inside the xfer switch (for generator load balancing)?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-11, 05:38 PM
I doubt you'd have room inside your main panel for three 2/0 splices. I think I'd reroute the conduit from the meter to the transfer switch first and then to the service panel. This may be a good question for the local electrical inspector.

Old 01-18-11, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Joe about routing the conduit to the xfer switch first. The CTs are allowed as long as they and the monitoring unit is UL listed for the voltage level in the cabinet (i.e. nothing homemade). Note that your CTs must be fully hooked up before you energize the main conductors or you will burn them up.

Old 01-18-11, 03:11 PM
Yeah, you can't use this transfer switch as you propose. You have no over current protection in this switch. Your options would be to add a disconnect post meter and pre-transfer switch, or if room allows, to install a fuse block in the transfer switch.

If you add a disconnect then, this would be your service equipment and all feeders post disconnect would need to be 4-wire. If you add the fuse block to the transfer switch, then this becomes the service and the feeder to the existing panel needs to be 4-wire.

Grounding/bonding will need to be moved to your first means of disconnect and anything post, the neutrals/ground will need to be separated.

Old 01-18-11, 05:12 PM
The OP states the switch is service entrance rated which would mean it has OCP, such as fuses. But, that being said, the Harbor Freight spec sheet calls the switch both fusible and non-fusible and doesn't mention it being service entrance rated.

■Maximum 15 HP (240v 1-phase AC) or 40 HP (250v DC), with time-delay fuses
■Non-fusible 2-pole, 3-wire, solid neutral
I don't think I'd be buying electrical equipment from Harbor Freight, but that's just me.