safe capacity

Old 01-19-11, 06:53 AM
safe capacity

I have 100 amp service, I ran a feeder to a sub-panel out in my garage, I ran #6 wire from a 60 amp double pole breaker out to the garage. I would like to run 7 lights, and 5 recepticles, I also have an old air compressor that requires a 30 amp breaker, it's rated at 17.8 amps at 115 volts. These are the only things I'm going to run for now. I have 6 open spaces in the sub-panel, what all should I put on each circuit? I thought of running 4 lights on one circuit, 3 lights and one recepticle on another, then 4 recepticles on another circuit, then the air compressor on another circuit by itself. Is this ok? Don't want to overload anything, and I'm going to have them inspect it this spring. Also, would I be able to add an arc welder on a seperate circuit later?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead59 View Post
what all should I put on each circuit?
I would do all the lights on one circuit (15A, #14 wire), the receptacles split up on two circuits (20A, #12 wire) and the compressor on its own circuit (30A, #10 wire). The receptacles will need to be GFCI. The lights need to be GFCI only if they are the plug-in shoplights to a receptacle on the ceiling; hardwired lights do not need GFCI.

Also, would I be able to add an arc welder on a seperate circuit later?
Yes I think that should be no problem. If this is a welding machine on the larger size your fluorescent lights might blink off when you strike the arc, but you could deal with that.

Old 01-19-11, 01:15 PM
Thanks! One more quick question,... how far up from the floor should the recepticles be then, also, the wiring thru the studs, how far up from the floor?

Old 01-19-11, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
NEC doesn't have a height requirement for residential, but some localities enforce a 24" height from the floor to avoid gas fumes in a garage/shop. If you store sheet goods, I would go ~54" off the floor so your plywood doesn't block the receptacles. The wiring can go through the studs about 6" above or below the receptacle height. Your local inspector may require wall covering (drywall, OSB) if the cable goes through the stud spaces without other protection like running boards or conduit.

Old 01-20-11, 03:03 PM
When wiring gfci recepticles, the first recepticle is a gfci recepticle, then the rest are regular, correct?

Old 01-20-11, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
I would do all the lights on one circuit (15A, #14 wire), the receptacles split up on two circuits (20A, #12 wire)
I would do all of the lights on 12awg wire, with a 15a or 20a breaker. I just do not like the 14awg as it is too flimsy.
I would use at Least 2 receptacle circuts, with 20A receptacles and 12awg wire on a 20a gfi breaker.(too many posts about tripped gfi's behind stuff in garages) Place them at counter level to make way of future benches.

Old 01-20-11, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead59 View Post
When wiring gfci recepticles, the first recepticle is a gfci recepticle, then the rest are regular, correct?
As long as you connect the incoming power cable to the LINE terminals and the outgoing cable to the downstream receptacles to the LOAD terminals, then everything connected downstream, including standard receptacles, is protected by the GFCI.