Is this a fire hazard and how bad?

Old 01-17-11, 06:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this a fire hazard and how bad?

I have a dresser at the end of my bed. I want to put a tv on it. I then will run an extension cord under a sheet that sits on the side of the boxspring. The cord will not be under any compression as it will be on side of boxspring but it will be under a fitted sheet. The bed sits on the floor. Thanks.

Old 01-17-11, 08:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Why not lay it on the floor under the bed?

Please note by NEC code extension cords are for temporary use only.

Edit:
The bed sits on the floor.
Oh, do you mean there is no space under the bed so that wouldn't work.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-17-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 08:20 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boxer0987
I have a dresser at the end of my bed. I want to put a tv on it. I then will run an extension cord under a sheet that sits on the side of the boxspring. The cord will not be under any compression as it will be on side of boxspring but it will be under a fitted sheet. The bed sits on the floor. Thanks.
I would not do it.

The main issue is that no one can guarantee what wattage will be running through the extension cord, because it's got a receptacle on the end that you can plug just about anything into. A 16 AWG cord that would be OK in the open air may overheat if covered. You can tell us it will only be a 100-watt TV, and that may not be a problem, but because we have to take into consideration human error, yeah, it's a fire hazard.

I would also not have the mattress on the floor. I would build a 2" platform with 2x4s (laid parallel to the side of the mattress) and plywood on top the 2x4s. Then run the cord under the plywood from head to foot.

Similarly, the old electric blankets and mattress pads didn't address cord routing from the head to the foot of the bed, but the ones I have now explicitly say to NOT run the cords between the mattress and box spring. Instead those cords are to be run on the floor beneath the frame, where there is roughly 6" clearance on a regular frame.

Old 01-18-11, 02:34 AM
B
So to use an extension cord as a permanent hookup is a bad idea anyways. If I did raise my bed and run the cord under do you think their would be any problems. I would also use a cable cover then.

Old 01-18-11, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you raise the bed you should have no problem, as the others have said. It is the possibility of chafing the cord that comes into play when the mattress is directly on top of it. All cords and cables must be "protected".

Old 01-18-11, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The best solution would be to add a receptacle where you need it.

Old 01-18-11, 01:56 PM
B
I understand that under the mattress would be a bad idea but it won't be. It would be on the side of the boxspring held by the sheet I am putting on the box spring. On the side of the mattress that is the thickness not the width or height. Their would never be any kind of pressure on the cord and it would be hanging freely in the sheet.

Old 01-18-11, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm with either the platform idea or the new receptacle. Also, you would want to use a good extension cord, and not one like this:
Shop Woods 6 Ft. 3-Outlet White Household Cord at Lowes.com

The high resistance connections and cheap contacts are not the best. Try to get a plugstrip with a long cord. Most have a circut breaker built into them, for added safety.

Old 01-18-11, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
OK..no Electrical Pro...and it's already been stated..but lets get to brass tacks (whatever that means..lol). Extension cords are for temporary use only. Yes, we all push it for Christmas lights and such...but I would never use an extension cord in the way you describe.

I would highly discourage any such use....esp in a sleeping area. Ever seen a body (or person who survived) from a smoking in bed fire? Not pretty.

A short from damage could smolder for hours..putting you completely out of it or worse.

If you absolutely have to, use a power strip with a long cord and a built in circuit breaker, and keep the main power cord protected.

Old 01-18-11, 04:59 PM
B
Thank you to the last post. You using descriptive images in my head has made me decide to not do this. My daughter sleeps with us alot of knights and I would not want the bed to catch fire.

Old 01-19-11, 07:45 PM
P
absolutely right! we had a fire, started by an extension cord that shorted and smoldered in bed and bedding in a guest room that hadn't been used for months, the whole floor was charred and the three floors below damaged (and inhabitable) due to water, smoke and soot. extension cords are bad!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: