Wiring new Heat Pump Fan Motor

Old 01-19-11, 11:13 AM
Wiring new Heat Pump Fan Motor

I'm replacing my outdoor heat pump fan motor (fasco D917) and capacitor (Run Capacitor, 35/5 MFD, 370 VAC, Round). The heat pump is an older Goodman. The new fan motor has a white, brown, brown w/white stripe and black wire. On the side of the motor it says to put the (1) brown wire to capacitor (2) brown/white wire to 5mfd 370 vac (3) white to (com) line (4) black to (hi) line. It also says to connect in numerical order.
Any idea where these are going? I understand the white going to the com lead on the capacitor, but after that I'm just not sure, especially the brown/white going to 5 mfd 370 vac?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by RickPRichmond View Post
I'm replacing my outdoor heat pump fan motor (fasco D917) and capacitor (Run Capacitor, 35/5 MFD, 370 VAC, Round). The heat pump is an older Goodman. The new fan motor has a white, brown, brown w/white stripe and black wire. On the side of the motor it says to put the (1) brown wire to capacitor (2) brown/white wire to 5mfd 370 vac (3) white to (com) line (4) black to (hi) line. It also says to connect in numerical order.
Any idea where these are going? I understand the white going to the com lead on the capacitor, but after that I'm just not sure, especially the brown/white going to 5 mfd 370 vac?
You probably had only one dual capacitor before for both the fan motor and the compressor, but many replacement motors will have their own capacitor. Read this thread, it might help you.

Posted by fluffybunnysui (My Page) on Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 8:49

Ok... lets keep it simple here. 1st off, the brown and the brown/white wires should have terminals on the end of them. They go to the run capacitor the guy gave you... one wire on one side of the capacitor and the other wire to the other side of the capacitor. Now your black & white wire are the power wires to the fan motor. Wire the black wire to one side of the contactor and the white wire to the other side of the contactor. This gives you your 240vac for the motor. Now mount the capacitor somehow or at least wrap the terminals(wire & all) with some electrical tape to keep them from touching some metal.
**** Please make sure the power is turned off, as it can kill you *******

Hope this helps
Wiring the Condenser fan motor - Heating & Air Conditioning Forum - GardenWeb