gfci blows with surge protector

Old 01-19-11, 03:05 PM
gfci blows with surge protector

hi, i have a gfci that blows when i have a surge protector plugged into it (i've tried two surge protectors so far), with or without other things plugged into the surge protector, and turn off the light over the sink. the outlet does not blow without a surge protector plugged into it, but with other things plugged into it, when i turn off the light over the sink.

should gfcis work with surge protectors? or is it possible the two surge protectors i've tested are faulty?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 05:56 PM
Try a different GFCI receptacle, and let us know what happens. Defective surge strips can cause GFCI tripping.

Verify: the outlet trips when the light is turned OFF? What kind of light? Is it properly grounded?

Old 01-20-11, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A GFCI would probably trip if these surge protectors have absorbed surges. They have MOVs which short hot and neutral to ground with unusually high voltages (surges). If these MOVs have already been broken down a little bit by absorbing surges they may be leaking enough current to exceed 5mA which would trip the GFCI.

Old 01-20-11, 03:13 PM
A surge supressor has a light between line and ground. Usually, this light is just enough to trip a gfi, and has destroyed 2 Inverters of mine.

Old 01-20-11, 03:27 PM
thanks all

thank you all for your comments and help. it's not that big of a problem since i don't really need the surge protector on that outlet (only a toaster oven and phone there), i was just wondering why it was doing what it was doing.

to answer some comments...

if i feel so motivated, i'll try switching out gfcis. but i don't think that could be the problem, i purchased them new when we moved in 4 years ago (since the idiot previous owners didn't fix the broken ones that were in here). also, it is a small fluorescent light that is over the sink. i don't know if it is wired correctly, it was in place when we moved in.

both of the surge protectors do have a light on them. one of them is only a few years old and i don't think has ever been subjected to a surge. the other is a bit older though. but, like i said, both are creating the same event.

Old 01-20-11, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
also, it is a small fluorescent light that is over the sink.
Just a code note lights are not suppose to be on the counter top receptacle circuit by current code but it may be grandfathered. Not a biggie and probably not the cause of your problem.

Old 01-20-11, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Just a code note lights are not suppose to be on the counter top receptacle circuit by current code but it may be grandfathered. Not a biggie and probably not the cause of your problem.
wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't by code when they built these units. they seemed to have cut lots of corners and did things as cheaply as possible.