GFI Slight Humming Buzzing Noise - Leviton Smart Lock Pro

Old 01-19-11, 09:11 PM
Exclamation GFI Slight Humming Buzzing Noise - Leviton Smart Lock Pro

Hello-

I could use some advice. We just installed all new GFI outlets, Leviton Smart Lock Pro, for our kitchen remodel. The outlets appear to be functioning fine when we flipped the breaker, we were able to "reset" all of them and all are showing the green light. The problem (perhaps?) is that when you put your ear within about 4" of the outlet you can hear a slight hum/buzz of electric current. The outlets are currently hanging out since we wanted to check before putting in the boxes. All but one of the outlets (one in the middle of the circuit) make this noise. I've tried rewiring/checking connections on the others but they are still making the sound. I checked some of our older GFIs in our bathroom and I don't hear anything. So, my questions are: Is this a problem? Do I need to replace them? Has anyone else experienced this with these outlets?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Are you saying you used more then one GFCI on each circuit. If so did you feed the next receptacle from the line side? If you did use more then one GFCI receptacle per circuit what was the reason?

Old 01-19-11, 09:58 PM
Hi Ray-

Yes, there is more than one GFCI on the circuit as our city inspector wanted to have all counter outlets be GFCI outlets. They are properly set up with the line side being the input and the load side being the out to the next outlet... I double and triple checked that I'm not sure if it helps or not but the Leviton Smart Lock Pros have the "quick connect" for the wires and that's what I'm using. I've thought about wrapping around the screws to see if that fixes it... Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 01-20-11, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gotta love inspectors! sometimes they wear their brains, sometimes not. Just a stupid redundancy. Are you sure he said all had to be GFCI receptacles, or GFCI "protected" receptacles??? Anyway, you can't have daisy chained GFCI's with them wired from line to load. They all have to be wired line to line. If you leave them like they are, one will trip and they all will trip, OR you'll never be able to find which one is the culprit should you have a problem.
GFCI's mostly use a pressure plate where you insert your wire and tighten the screw down on the wire. Is that what you did?? If so, that is correct. Don't wrap the wires around the screws.

Old 01-20-11, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
our city inspector wanted to have all counter outlets be GFCI outlets
There could have been a failure to communicate which cost you a lot of extra money. By national code you only need GFCI protection on the receptacles not actual GFCI receptacles in each box. That protection, as Chandler wrote, is provided by using a GFCI receptacle as the first receptacle and wiring regular receptacles from the load side of the GFCI receptacle. Whether this weird wiring is causing the buzzing I can't say.

Note you could also just have used GFCI breakers and all regular receptacles.

Old 05-20-11, 06:52 PM
Buzzing

Do you have led lights in the house? I recently installed LED's and GFI's started buzzing also. Seems more intense when the I dim the lights also. When the led light is at full power the buzz is not as loud. I'm going to see about replacing the dimmers to see if that affects the buzz.