Kitchen remodel questions

Old 01-20-11, 05:18 AM
Kitchen remodel questions

Two questions about a kitchen remodel project.

First question is about an abandoned wire. One overhead light had (2) 3 way switches, one of which I've removed. The remaining switch has a 3 conductor wire that is no longer in use. I've capped the ends in the switch box with wire nuts and the other end currently is unattached in the attic. Removing it would be difficult as the walls are plaster. What should I do with the loose wire in the attic?

Second question is about the circuits for the cooktop and oven. The existing appliances have 2 separate 40A 3 wire circuits, black, red and white insulated 8 ga wire with a small 14 ga bare ground wire. I am going to reuse these circuits and I was looking to run a new heavier ga bare ground wire. My question here is can I share the ground between the cooktop and oven circuits, or do I need to run a unique ground for each? Distance back to the service panel is going to be 75 foot or so. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-11, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by ednu99 View Post
I've capped the ends in the switch box with wire nuts and the other end currently is unattached in the attic.
Two options: put the attic end of the cable into an accessible box with blank cover; or cut off the end in the switch box and push it out of the box into the wall space. Both ends must be in accessible boxes or abandoned in the wall, but not one of each.

My question here is can I share the ground between the cooktop and oven circuits, or do I need to run a unique ground for each?
Retrofit grounds is a gray area in the code. It does not give a lot of specifics on how it can/should be accomplished. My opinion is that the two circuits could share a #10 copper ground wire.

Also many cooktops and ovens use 30A circuits, so you many need to change out your breakers when you pick out new appliances.

Old 01-20-11, 12:37 PM
You can do a favor to the next guy that remodels in this house. Whenever I abandon a cable I mark it as abandoned and try to include the location of the other end.

Old 01-20-11, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys, I will add a jb and place the attic end of the cable within it. If anyone ever looks at the abandoned cable I will mark the jb box cover as such. It's directly above the switch in the attic so it would be easy to find.

The new range is rated at 40A but the single oven is only 20A so I will swap out that breaker for the correct one. a single 10ga on the new ground is what I was hoping to do. Thanks again.