Canada kitchen countertop wiring code question

Old 01-21-11, 10:30 AM
Canada kitchen countertop wiring code question

I have a question about the kitchen countertop wiring code for a kitchen because we had renovations done and although the contractor said the electrician was a "master electrician" and the electrician himself said "everything is going to be completely legal" I found 3 illegal things just in the countertop outlets:

-2 outlets within inches of the sink on either side (sink ended up in another location and other outlet moved to about 11.5" from sink)
-All outlets are non GFCI 12/3 split receptacles, meaning a risk of up to a 240 volt shock right next to the sink
-4 countertop outlets on the same 12/3 circuit

This bothers me not only for the electrical shock risk, but also because I sometimes have three 1000-1800 watt devices on at once (espresso machine, countertop convection oven, pressure cooker). Am I right that a 12/3 circuit would allow me about 4800 watts split evenly between the bottom and top outlets of each receptacle? If so that's enough but I still think code says no more than 2 outlets per circuit.

Fixing it would be running new wires which would cost a lot, is it a problem to leave it like that? At least a GFCI breaker could be installed leaving only one illegal thing out of the original 3.

You can be sure I'll be checking everything as they do it when they do the top story kitchen and will tell them ahead of time what the code is (as they seem to completely ignore it) and how I want it done.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-11, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by aabsc View Post
-2 outlets within inches of the sink on either side (sink ended up in another location and other outlet moved to about 11.5" from sink)
This should be okay.

-All outlets are non GFCI 12/3 split receptacles, meaning a risk of up to a 240 volt shock right next to the sink
This is not okay. A 2-pole GFCI breaker will be required on this circuit.

-4 countertop outlets on the same 12/3 circuit
Should be okay for a code minimum job. You can have more installed if you want.

Am I right that a 12/3 circuit would allow me about 4800 watts split evenly between the bottom and top outlets of each receptacle? If so that's enough but I still think code says no more than 2 outlets per circuit.
Yes 4800W total and no more than 2400W per leg, so you could have a 1000W+1000W on the top and 1800W on the bottom but not 1000W+1800W on the top and 1000W on the bottom.

Old 01-21-11, 10:48 AM
I thought code said no more than 2 outlets per circuit on a kitchen countertop (an electrician told me that), so is 4 on the same circuit really ok?

I will take apart each outlet to make sure he put the red/black wires at the same location on each so I can be sure I'm splitting the load properly.

If 4 outlets on the same circuit is legal then that's great news and means a simple breaker change can make everything legal, right?

Thanks

Old 01-21-11, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not an expert on Canadian code, but I think that since the circuit is split-wired it can power four receptacles since each leg of the circuit is powering the equivalent of two receptacles. GFCI is required on all receptacles within 1 meter of the sink edge, but it also does not hurt to have it on all the receptacles.

add: Also forgot to mention that you must use 20A t-slot receptacles on this 20A circuit.

Old 01-21-11, 11:32 AM
I can change the receptacles, but why can they not be regular split receptacles?

Also, on the last outlet we added we used 14/3 wire instead of 12/3, is that acceptable since it's the only outlet on that circuit (the wires carrying the load of all outlets are 12/3).

Old 01-21-11, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Also, on the last outlet we added we used 14/3 wire instead of 12/3, is that acceptable since it's the only outlet on that circuit (the wires carrying the load of all outlets are 12/3).
No. Must be #12. You might want to hire your own master electrician to inspect the work and give you a written report.

Old 01-21-11, 12:07 PM
I wanted to use 12/3 it's the contractor that said 14/3 is ok (he didn't have 12/3). I'll replace it with 12/3. I'd rather do it myself because what his "master electrician" did is far from being to code.

Old 01-21-11, 07:58 PM
I don't think anyone confirmed that it's to code in Canada to have 4 outlets on a 240v 12/3 circuit for 120v split receptacles? Someone in here said yes but an electrician told me the limit is 2 per circuit.