Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

combo switch/outlet with two wires into box that come from light

Old 01-21-11, 03:34 PM

I'd like to change a switch that controls a single light to a switch/outlet combo. There was only a black and white wire entering the box at the switch. I ran another black/white/ground wire from that switch box back up to light. From the light it continues on to another room. What now...I've added a wire from the light down to the want-to-be switch/outlet combo and have the switch working but can't figure out how to get the outlet working. Help please, this is crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-11, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by lomarla View Post
I'd like to change a switch that controls a single light to a switch/outlet combo.
Is this a bathroom? If so your outlet switch/outlet combo is not code.

There was only a black and white wire entering the box at the switch.
What you describe is called a switch loop. There is no neutral in this box.

I ran another black/white/ground wire from that switch box back up to light. From the light it continues on to another room. What now...I've added a wire from the light down to the want-to-be switch/outlet combo and have the switch working but can't figure out how to get the outlet working. Help please, this is crazy.
In the light box:

Connect the old white wire going to the old switch (It will be connected to a black or other colored wire) to the rest of the whites in that box. This will be your neutral.

Connect the old black going to the old switch to the group of blacks you just disconnected the old white from. This will now be your hot.

Connect the new black to your light black.

Connect your new white to your light white.

In the switch box:

Old black will go to the brass (or black) screw of the switch (The hot one, you will see a tab connecting two screws)

The whites will get connected together with a wire nut and also connect a pigtail to connect to the silver screw of the device.

The new black wire will connect to the switch leg side of the device.

If something doesn't make sense or things are different from what I describe, stop and post beck here.

Old 01-22-11, 07:55 AM
into the light box comes a black and white wire. the black went to switch, the white to the rest of whites going to another room. I have taken all the blacks in light box and connected. I have taken all the whites in the light box and connected. The switch combo box now has two wire coming into it. 2 black (one hot from origin the other from new wire i added) and two whites (one from the hot wire and one from new wire added.) Still can't get this thing to work as you describe prior. The whites get pigtail to the silver screw....? is this where I'm going wrong. I have outlet working but switch is not. ?

Old 01-22-11, 08:07 AM
ok...got it. was off by a wire. it's actually a work room in basement. thank you!

Old 01-22-11, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Good. Glad you got it.

BTW - If this is an unfinished part of a basement the outlet would also be required to be protected by a GFCI.