Wireing

Old 12-23-00, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
I purchased a home thats approx 30 yrs old. The wire is copper and i was wondering how long the wireing is good for.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-00, 05:22 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Copper does not wear out. Wiring would be good for a dozen life times if we did not increase loads due to new inventions and conveniences.

To check if you wiring has been abused, shut off the power and bend the wire at a sharp angle like a 'V' pattern periodically through out the system. If the insulation does not crack and the copper conductor has not turned black or brownish then chances are the wiring is still good.

However the electrical industry is changing every day. Over thirty years your wiring prbably is about way out dated.

If your wiring has an electrical grounding conductor and has a plastic sheathing instead of cloth then I would say you probably just need to increase the amperage capacity in specialized location such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry, and motorized equipment such as furnaces, air compressors, and the like. This is called a partial rewire. A partial rewire just increases the electrical capacity where it is needed only.

Hope this helps

Wg