Adding circuits in an unfinished brick basement

Old 01-25-11, 08:13 AM
Adding circuits in an unfinished brick basement

I'm going to be helping a friend add several circuits to his basement. He's told me he has plenty of room in the box (like room for 12+ breakers) so I was thinking of adding maybe two 20A circuits for tools and two 15A circuits for miscellaneous. Depending on how much 12AWG wire he wants to buy they may all be 20A.

My question is really what needs to be done to protect the wires? As I understand it NM cable needs to be protected from physical damage where exposed. Since they will be exposed - I'm guessing the outlet boxes will be about 4' off the floor and thus 3' or so from the ceiling. I am pretty certain the NM can be run unprotected through cross-bored holes in the joists. I was going to use metallic conduit (pipe, really) to run the wires down the wall to the box. Is this the proper method? If so, is there anything special that needs to be done at the ceiling level where the NM enters the pipe (i.e. some sort of bushing)?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-11, 08:38 AM
Conduit

The conduit needs bushings at the top where the cable enters the conduit.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 01-25-11 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 02:39 PM
I personally like to see 4x4 boxes at the ceiling. Gfi protection is also required.

Old 01-25-11, 06:26 PM
I would use drive on bushings and save the time and expense of a connector and threaded plastic bushing.

Insulating Bushings

Old 01-26-11, 07:08 AM
Bushings

I would use drive on bushings and save the time and expense of a connector and threaded plastic bushing.
This looks like a much better option.

Old 01-26-11, 07:48 AM
I didn't know that basements qualified as a wet location. I guess we'll have to add a GFCI to the start of each circuit. This is simple enough but will require some extra conduit. No big deal.

As for where to use conduit, what I had planned to do was use larger junction boxes (for future expansion) on or near the ceiling (the top of the wall, rather). Is there any reason conduit would be required between one junction box and the next, assuming that the wire run between the two is horizontal and 7-8' off the floor?

The NEC can be confusing. My house was built in 1987 and the outlet runs in my unfinished basement are simply stapled to wood studs that are surface-fastened to the brick. It looks like the electrician just stuck a 2x4 flat against the wall, power-nailed it, and stapled the NM to it. This hardly qualifies as protection from physical damage, but whatever. They aren't within a wall or anything. I believe they are at least GFCI-protected, albeit on a circuit that I think has way too many outlets.

Old 01-26-11, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by flintsilver7 View Post
I didn't know that basements qualified as a wet location.
The unfinished rooms do.

Is there any reason conduit would be required between one junction box and the next, assuming that the wire run between the two is horizontal and 7-8' off the floor?
Not usually at that height above the floor.

My house was built in 1987 and the outlet runs in my unfinished basement are simply stapled to wood studs that are surface-fastened to the brick.
The rules for protecting NM have been made stricter in recent years.

Old 01-28-11, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Physical damage is a subjective determination. Perhaps the original inspector did not think the cable was subject to damage and did not require the conduit sleeve.