Building house need general tips

Old 01-25-11, 07:39 AM
Building house need general tips

Hello.

The electrician is starting the wiring on a house I am building and ‘I don’t know what I don’t know’. Any general tips on do’s and don’ts (I realize that this is a very broad question)?

It is a three level house that can be used as legal duplex. The middle and upper floors will be on one meter/panel and the lowest floor will be on the second meter/panel.

The panels will be two 200 amp 40/40’s. I will be having copper bus bars and I will not be combining lights and outlets on the same circuits.

The heat for the whole building (3,200 sq ft) is in-floor hydronic electric boiler radiant heat. The boiler requires two 60 amp circuits.

We will run the boiler off one panel. One person mentioned to me that when this boiler kicks on it may cause some lights to dim. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Any other general suggestions?

Thanks to all!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-11, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by ncseattle View Post
The electrician is starting the wiring on a house I am building and ‘I don’t know what I don’t know’. Any general tips on do’s and don’ts (I realize that this is a very broad question)?
If you are acting as the GC, I would say just make sure your EC is reputable, licensed, insured and bonded. Make sure he's gotten necessary permits and follows through with required inspections, although if you've chosen a good EC all of that will go without saying. You might want to swing by to see who's actually doing the work -- some states require at least one licensed worker on the jobsite, others just require a licensed supervisor (who might be supervising from the shop).

We will run the boiler off one panel. One person mentioned to me that when this boiler kicks on it may cause some lights to dim. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?
There isn't much you could do to avoid it. Your system already sounds pretty well designed. My only thought would be to put the boiler on its own 200A panel and perhaps pull larger service conductors, but that's a lot of added expense to remedy an issue that is a mild annoyance at worst.

Any other general suggestions?
Just check up to make sure you're getting exactly what's in the spec sheet or blueprint. The EC may have to make revisions for legitimate reasons, but he should be to explain why it was necessary or discuss alternatives with you.

Old 01-25-11, 02:12 PM
12awg wire on 20A circuts for the receptacles. Good quality switches and receptacles.(not the 29c type, usually above $1 and marked spec grade) QO panels are nice and high quality, but you should go with whatever is readily available in yourt area. also think about using 4+ receptacle circuts in the kitchen outlets.

Old 01-25-11, 05:40 PM
I am wondering why you are going to the extra expense of two meters when all the heat will be on just one service. If you should ever use this as two units, as you suggested when you say it can be used as a legal duplex, one unit will bear the full cost of heating the whole building. Yes, oversizing the service conductors may help a bit on light dimming when the heat comes on, but just a bit. To fully overcome this, the service wiring from the utility and the transformer will also need to be oversized. I wouldn't worry about it.