generator wiring to refrigerator

Old 01-25-11, 07:21 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
generator wiring to refrigerator

I have a plan to power my refrigerator during a power outage with my generator that I haven’t seen on any site. I have an unfinished basement with exposed romex wires running out of the breaker box. I have identified the wire running to the refrigerator. My plan is to cut the wire and install a 15A plug and socket connector. This eliminates the need of going through the breaker box and buying a transfer switch. I only have to unplug the connection and plug into the extension cord from the generator. There would be no possibility of power going back on the grid because there is no link to the breaker box. This plan eliminates the need of a long extension cord to the kitchen and moving the refrigerator out of the built-in space to plug it in. There is an outlet in the kitchen on the same line that would be available to plug in lights, etc. Any problem with this plan?

Old 01-25-11, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
No Pro...but you can't connect house wiring (commonly called Romex) with a plug and outlet.

There may be a way...using some other type of cord and receptacle...but I don't know it if there is.

The Electricians will be around....

Old 01-25-11, 08:40 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You need a single-circuit transfer switch like this:

Old 01-25-11, 02:38 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm confused about why I need a transfer switch. I'll be going between the regular power from the breaker box and the generator power by unplugging the in-line connector and plugging into the generator extension cord. The generator has a 20A breaker. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-25-11, 03:00 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You could cut into the romex, add an extension and j-box, make a homemade transfer box with a SPDT switch to break the hot, and add a 5-15 or 5-20 inlet. However, the parts for this homemade switch is about the same cost as the ready-to-go single circuit unit.

You cannot have a permanent circuit that is cord-and-plug connected, nor can you use a cord cap on solid wire (romex). The only legal way to connect premises wiring to a generator is through an inlet to a transfer switch or approved interlock device.

home made extension cord with two male ends
A suicide cord is never the right thing to do.

Old 01-25-11, 05:27 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I used that exact transfer switch on my boiler, and it was fast & easy to install. Not expensive either & it works great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: