installing troffer fixtures

Old 01-25-11, 01:51 PM
installing troffer fixtures

this may be completely obvious to somebody, but not to me. I want to replace a troffer fixture, and can't figure out the best way to remove and reinstall. There is a piece of 2x4 about 2 inches above the fixture so i can't see an easy way to twist the fixture to come through on the diagonal. Is there a trick? should I remove a grid support bar and then reinstall it later? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-11, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually the ceiling suspension grid would not be so close to the framing. I would guess the ceiling system was assembled as you go. The best way would probably be to disassemble some of the ceiling grid to get the troffer out.

Old 01-25-11, 06:16 PM
There is a piece of 2x4 about 2 inches above the fixture so i can't see an easy way to twist the fixture to come through on the diagonal. Is there a trick?
It's tight, but it should come out. Be aware that the fixture may be attached to the grid too. Actually, it's supposed to be attached to the grid, but often is not in a residential basement. Some fixtures have clips made from the housing that are bent out and over the grid while some people use Caddy 515E clips (commonly called earthquake clips). Others sometimes tec screw the grid to the fixture at 4 corners. Depending on seismic requirements in your area, there may also be two wires attaching opposite corners to the wood framing above.