What type of wire?

Old 01-26-11, 08:08 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of wire?

I have a shed that is approximately 75 feet from my house. I need to run power to it to run 2 lights and some tools (chop saw, table saw, lathe). I will only need to run one at a time. I am going to bury it 24" ddep in schedule 40 PVC. What gauge and type of wire should I use? Does it need to be uf-b? Or can it be standard romex since it is protected by the PVC. Would 12 gauge be sufficient or would 10 gauge be better? Would individual strands of THHN be easier to pull? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cec78

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-11, 08:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Stranded THWN would be easiest to pull and by national code 18" is deep enough for conduit. You could also use UF at 24". Of course conduit would be more easily upgraded to more power later should you need it. Conduit is not used for UF except for short sections to protect it where exposed.

I would suggest a multi-wire circuit from a 20a 2 pole breaker. At the shed you could run one circuit for lights and one for receptacles. That would lessen dimming of the lights when high amp motors start. You would need four #12 THWN - black, red*, white, green. Or you could use 12-3 UF cable.

At the shed you will need a disconnect. That can be either a DPST toggle switch or a 30a or greater unfused AC disconnect. After the disconnect two 12-2 NM-b are run for separate circuits. Conduit and THWN could also be used. First receptacle on the receptacle circuit must be a GFCI. Remaining receptacles are daisy chained to the load side. A GFCI switch may be used for the lights or a regular switch and a blank face GFCI. can be mounted in a 2-gang box.

*Note two black THWN can be used instead of black,red.
-

Last edited by ray2047; 01-26-11 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-26-11, 09:00 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cec78 View Post
table saw, lathe
Do you know the motor size on this tools?

Old 01-26-11, 09:56 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this the type of DPST toggle that you are talking about? Leviton 20 amp Double-Pole Toggle Commercial Switch - R56-0CSB2-2TS at The Home Depot

Old 01-26-11, 10:07 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Yes that switch or one like it would be a suitable disconnect for the outbuilding.