wring a florescent ceiling fixture

Old 12-23-00, 09:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have hung a new dual bulb florescent light fixture in my pantry. The three wires coming out of the ceiling are bare copper, black and white.

The three wires coming out of the fixture are black, white and one that is yellow. I have hooked black to balck, white to white and the bare wire to the fixture. This leaves the yellow wire dangling. Turing on the unit I get two bulbs burning very dimly.

Is the yellow wire suppoosed to be connected to the fixture also or directly to the bare wire coming from the house. Or is it a hot wire. Help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-00, 10:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suppose it's too much to ask that you might have the instructions for this fixture.

My guess: the yellow fixture wire should be connected along with the black fixture wire to the black coming out of the ceiling. In a normal world, all colors except white, grey and green are treated the same as if they were black.

Caveat: disregard this advice if you are not in North America, and/or your fixture was not purchased in North America.

Old 12-24-00, 06:16 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
John Nelson you make a point that we should think on to warn people in Europe expecially that color there may not match color requirement in the US. I wish the world would go to the international codes so that we could all get on the same page.

I suspect that the yellow wire should be going to one of the sockets of the flourescent fixture where the bulbs connect to. I suspect the this wire became disconnected during shipping. Yellow in a flourescent fixture usually come from the ballast to one end of the fixture to the bulb sockets, then jump between each socket at that same end, and red and blue usually come from the ballast and then goes to the other end of the fixture going to the bulb sockets one each there.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 12-24-00, 09:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wg, you have the most amazingly diplomatic way of pointing out my mistakes. Happy holidays.

Old 12-24-00, 09:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Fixed

Thanks so much for your help. The yellow wire does indeed go the fixture at the end of the light. It looked like it just pulled free. And of course there were no instructions or diagrams in the box. I did go through all the boxes in the store trying to find the one box that hadnt been opened and its the one with the problem. Anyway I stuck the yellow wire into the end of the socket and the lights came on. Thanks agaon guys for all your help

Old 12-24-00, 01:40 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Glad to hear it worked. John, looks like we were successful on one. Always like to hear back from you guys to know we helped.

Wg