proper procedure

Old 01-29-11, 03:37 AM
proper procedure

I recently purchased a house, "as is", and the wiring in the garage wasn't working, it had mud-dobber nests in the junction boxes, etc. It is old wiring, etc. so I'm ripping it all out and starting from scratch. I'm also going to put in insulation, walls, and ceiling which it does not have.
1. What is the proper procedure for doing this myself ? Do I need a permit, ?
2. Do I need to get it inspected since it's already had wiring in the garage ?
3 How do I go about this, who do I have to get ahold of, if it needs to be done, etc?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-11, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) Yes you will need a permit. Check with the building department, first, to see if individuals are allowed to do their own work. Some municipalities don't.
2) It will be inspected prior to sign off. You are doing "new" work, not adding to old.
3) Educate yourself. Buy the book Wiring Simplified, and study it thoroughly. Doing it wrong will only make you do it over. It will be expensive to redo it.

Old 01-29-11, 05:56 AM
Who do I get it from, or where do I go to get the permit ? How much does it cost, ballpark figure ?

Old 01-29-11, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your permit would come from the county tax assessor's office, where the building department is usually housed. They work together....you get a permit and the tax assessor raises your taxes for improvements. The permit may cost you $50-100, depending on the extent of what you want to do in the project.
Go there with a drawing of what you have and what you want to do, so the inspector can go over with you the local requirements, that may be a little different than the prevailing NEC.
You will have to do the wiring in accordance with the NEC (find out which year they are using), AND local changes.
One thing seasoned contractors will tell you is "be nice". They may or may not be, but they hold all the aces, and you just want in the game.

Old 01-29-11, 07:37 AM
If your house is within a city or town, you'll likely find that most municipalities will have their own building department within their public works department. I'd start checking within city government first for the building department. If the house is outside the limits of any city or town, do like Chandler suggested and contact the county. Most jurisdictions will require some sort of permit if for no other reason, to adjust the taxes, again like Chandler said. Some will not have any inspections at all and others have modest inspections. From my experience, the larger the municipality, the more intensive the inspection will be.

Old 01-29-11, 08:15 AM
Permits

1. What is the proper procedure for doing this myself ? Do I need a permit, ?
2. Do I need to get it inspected since it's already had wiring in the garage ?
3 How do I go about this, who do I have to get ahold of, if it needs to be done, etc?
Do you live within the corporate limits of a city or town?

Old 01-29-11, 03:23 PM
My address is a town, but we live outside the city limits, we don't even have a street name, just an "EMS" #. I live about 4 miles outside the city limits, it's close to a lake, not on it, but 50 yds. away from it, and the house's are kinda packed in here like sardines.

Old 01-30-11, 12:27 PM
County Ordinance

This is a lengthy document. Scroll down to page 55. See paragraph 4.10; sub-pargraph 4.10.2.

http://www.kcgov.com/XML%20Data/Area...G_12_22_09.pdf

I hope this helps. I would go to the planner's office to make sure of the correct interpretation and to make sure this is the latest information. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-02-11, 05:47 AM
I tried to view the link, and it came up with a bunch of random pictures that I had previously viewed on my computer, it's probably my viewer, kids probably clicked something ! I'll try to fix that !

Old 02-02-11, 06:05 AM
Document

You need Adobe Reader to view the document. You can download Adobe Reader for free from Adobe.