new wires

Old 01-31-11, 05:13 AM
new wires

I have old 2 wire cable in my house, if I were to start replacing it with new cable, can I just tape the heck out of the new cable, to the old cable, and pull it either up to the attic, or down from the attic to the recepticle?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-11, 06:08 AM
Pulling New Wire

Yes, unless the old cable is stapled inside the walls, which it probably is.

I would hook individual wires of old and new together and then wrap tape in the direction of the pull so that the exposed edges of the tape are the trailing edges and not the leading edges. Less likely to snag.

Old 01-31-11, 08:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No the old cable should be stapled in there really good -- it will not pull out. Usually the best course of action for a rewire is to gain access to the top or bottom plate of the wall from the attic or basement. Drill up or down into the wall cavity you want to wire and actually run the cable in the accessible basement or attic space. It also helps to cut the old boxes out so you can reach into the wall to fish the cable or guide the flexible drill shaft. You can replace the old boxes with old-work plastic boxes or Arlington One boxes.

Old 02-02-11, 05:27 AM
So, if I tape new wire to old and pull it up to the attic, which looks easiest to me, and I can't pull it thru the staples, can I run the wire thru there without staples and be ok with code ?
Also, if I'm going to go to the trouble of doing all this, I'm going to cut out the old recepticles completely and put brand new ones in. Anything wrong with this ?

Old 02-02-11, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The NEC allows cables that are fished into inaccessible spaces to be installed without needed to be stapled or secured to the building.

You may find the older boxes are too small to use. Box fill calculations have changed and larger boxes are needed than in the past. The extra space will also make it easier for you to neatly tuck the wires in the box. The old clamps are probably the wrong style for your new cables.

Old 02-03-11, 03:00 AM
Thanks guys! You are a great help !