Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

tapping into and adding outlets to dedicated outlet for tankless water heater

Old 01-31-11, 09:22 PM

Recently added a tankless water heater that has its own dedicated exterior wall mounted outlet with only one socket. I want to know if I can change the outlet to a 2 or 4 socket box. I also want to know if I can tap into this connection to run a line for another outlet in another area of the house. The run to the 2nd outlet would be approx 15-20 feet

Last edited by Stumped1; 01-31-11 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-11, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
No if this is an electric instant water heater. If gas 120v on a 20a breaker does the manufacturer require a dedicated circuit? If so no.

Old 01-31-11, 10:33 PM
It is a gas unit. These are the installation directions from the manual. It is not clear to me if this means it requires a dedicated circuit.

ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS

1. The water heater must be electrically grounded. Do not attach the ground wire to either the gas or
the water piping.
2. The water heater requires 120 VAC / 60 Hz electrical power supply that is properly grounded.
A proper disconnect (i.e. on/off switch, power plug, etc.) controlling the main power to the
water heater must be provided for service reasons.**(Must comply with local codes).
Connect the power supply to the water heater exactly as shown in the wiring diagram;**
3. A green screw is provided in the junction box to ground the connection.**
4. Can be hardwired or wired to a plug‐in.**
5. The use of a surge protector is recommended in order to protect the unit from power surges.*

Old 01-31-11, 10:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What does the ** footnote say?

Old 02-01-11, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the manual doesn't say specifically, what does the nameplate say? It should say 120v xxA. The amp draw will determine what else (if anything) can be put on the circuit.