Fusible Switch

Old 02-01-11, 12:20 PM
Fusible Switch

Hi.

I want to wire an electrical circuit in my home to run a small Miller TIG welder. The welder rating is 230v at 20amps. The max standard circuit breaker/fuse is designated at 30amps. Their recommendation is to use a 30amp fusible switch between the source and the machine. They also designate a minimum 14 gauge conductor size. (which sounds lite to me)

Specifics to my home. The main panel (200 amp service) is located about 75' from the location of the 230v outlet to run the welder.

My primary question relates to configuring the circuit to use a fusible switch per their suggestion. Do I put a 30amp breaker in the main panel, then run wire to a 30 amp fusible switch located near the welder and then make the connection to the outlet from there.

If that isn't the correct configuration I would appreciate it if you could tell me what is the right way to do it.

Also, I would like to know what gauge wire I should use to carry the 20 amp load over 75' to the welder.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What I would probably do is run #10/2g from a double-pole 30A breaker in the panel to a receptacle and install an appropriate plug on the machine. The local disconnect switch is not required as long as the welder is cord-and-plug connected.

You could go lighter on the conductor size, but the price for 75' will not be that different to have a well provisioned circuit.

Old 02-01-11, 01:14 PM
How about a more convienant reset location?

I have a Lincoln 120 volt tig welder. I've tripped the breaker on mine by holding the tip to close to the weld puddle making for a direct short to ground. It might be nice to be closer than 75 feet from the breaker at a time like that.

Old 02-01-11, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With a direct short you can't really guarantee which breaker will trip first. While it's possible the closer breaker would trip first, it could just as well be the branch circuit breaker or main breaker that will trip.

Old 02-02-11, 06:11 AM
Thanks.

Hey good morning guys. Thanks for the info...I appreciate it!