2nd outlet connected to GFCI not working properly

Old 02-02-11, 10:13 PM
2nd outlet connected to GFCI not working properly

The electrician finally made the kitchen counter outlets to code (which I had to explain him how to do and he tried insisting doing it "his way" which is not to code).

He ran a new 20 amp line for the 2 outlets on either side of the sink and one is a GFCI T slot and the other a plain T slot connected to the GFCI's load output.

The 2nd (non GFCI) outlet only gets power if I wiggle the GFCI a certain way, so I took it all apart, tightened all the wire screws about an extra half turn to be sure, tested it with the outlet dangling out of the wall, all was fine, so I put it all back in the box and the same problem is back.

Since I made sure the connections are tight, could this be a defect in the GFCI outlet itself? What else could be the cause?

Thanks

Last edited by aabsc; 02-02-11 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 11:09 PM
I un/re installed it 2 more times, again it works out of the box, but not in the box, I also removed the box and tested the wire with a multi meter while jiggling it, it's fine. Also now jiggling the GFCI receptacle doesn't cause the other outlet to work.

Is it likely a broken GFCI? Actually I didn't check his connection that's inside a marrette, but I'm done testing for today, I'll test that tomorrow.

Old 02-03-11, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of the wires may be outside the clamp instead of under the clamp. When it touches it appears to work.

I hold the GFI horizontal so the clamp falls toward the middle of the device body, insert the wire and then tighten the screw.

Old 02-03-11, 05:24 AM
I'm not using the clamps, the wires are "u-turned" around the outside screws. So is the GFCI receptacle likely bad? Again I'll check the connections in the marrette which is the only thing I haven't tried so far.

Old 02-03-11, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understand your install there is one GFI and one regular receptacle downstream from the GFI. If this is true, there should be no need for marrettes. You would only have a LINE and a LOAD connection. The only splice needed would be on the grounds and they are not needed for proper operation of the GFI.

Old 02-03-11, 07:18 AM
There is also a switch in that box thats why theres a marrette, i will likely remove the switch anyway. If the problem isn't in the marrette than I assume it can only be a faulty GFCI?

Old 02-05-11, 12:18 PM
Well I took it out a 3rd time, again the other outlet worked while I had the GFCI dangling by the wires out of the box, but this time I decided to leave the power on as I carefully put the switch and GFCI back into the wall box (I put electrical tape around the GFCI so no contacts were exposed). I left an appliance on on the other outlet for the entire time I put everything back into the box, this time the other outlet kept working and still works with the box fully closed.

So what could have caused this strange problem? I also tested the voltage on the other outlet and pulling 1800 watts from it causes a normal voltage drop (about 123 to 120 volts). Can I assume it's safe now? It still bothers me to not know where the faulty connection was.