removing sconces built into fireplace

Old 02-03-11, 07:05 AM
removing sconces built into fireplace

We're buying a house that has a couple fireplaces each with two sconces sticking out of the chimney portion above the mantle shelf. Does anybody have any experience with this type of situation. I imagine that a mason person could find a matching stone to "patch" up the fireplace once the thing is removed. But what about wiring? ... I have no idea what considerations there are in removing something like this.

Not that it probably matters, but two fireplaces are natural stone, and the other is brick. All the fireplaces go up to the ceiling. Nice fireplaces, but I just hate those lights!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-11, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before you could abandon the wiring you would need to see if it feeds other parts of the house or just goes from the switch to the sconces.

You might also consider changing the fixtures to something you like.

Old 02-03-11, 09:23 AM
All right. So if the wires terminate at the two sconces, then no big deal. I just take out the sconces, pull out the wire from the sconces to the switch, and put a blank cover on the old switch and I'm done. Right?

If I see wires leaving the sconces and going to other outlets and stuff in the room then I'm stuck since obviously I can't terminate the wires where the sconces are because it would be accessible, being behind the stone fireplace. So, what would I do? Remove the wire like the first option and then fish new wires from the switch (now a blank plate) to the recepticle that the last sconce was feeding?

Last edited by stickshift; 02-03-11 at 09:52 AM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post
Old 02-03-11, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
Actually you probably can't remove the cables. The wires would be disconnected at each end and cut as short as possible. At the switch at least the wires are shoved into the wall.

Even if not a simple feed from a switch it still may be possible to remove the boxes just more complicated.

Old 02-03-11, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Actually you probably can't remove the cables. The wires would be disconnected at each end and cut as short as possible. At the switch at least the wires are shoved into the wall.

Even if not a simple feed from a switch it still may be possible to remove the boxes just more complicated.
Sorry, but I'm not following. Can you explain?

Old 02-03-11, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
I'll be glad to elaborate but lets see how many cables in the light box and switch first. That way I can address just your situation.

Old 02-03-11, 11:01 AM
Which part aren't you following?
All of it

Okay, I did some more reading (this is our first house so I don't really know what I'm talking about). I neglected to realize that the wiring is stapled to the studs. I assume that's what you were talking about now, which does make sense. So either way, I have to abandon the existing wiring from the switch to the sconces.

If there's nothing else on the circuit then it's a done deal. If there's something else, I just run some wiring from whatever is before the switch to what's after the sconces. Maybe.

Old 02-03-11, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
You are correct in your assumptions.

Old 02-03-11, 11:47 AM
You are correct in your assumptions.
There's no "magical" tools that people use to "snip" off all those staples so they don't have abandoned wires in their walls?

Old 02-03-11, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by nstoddar View Post
There's no "magical" tools that people use to "snip" off all those staples so they don't have abandoned wires in their walls?
No but if you invent one you may make a fortune.