temporay dryer outlet

Old 02-06-11, 02:37 PM
temporay dryer outlet

hi i hope to get some answers regarding wiring for my dryer. i am starting a laundry/bathroom remodel and need to move the washer/dryer to the garage while i work on the remodel. there is an existing 30A ckt feeding the dryer now. i found that the wiring for it runs directly above (in space attic space overhead) my planned location for the dryer in the garage. is it OK to install a junction box and branch the existing run so i can drop a new dryer outlet into the garage while i work on this remodel? if not what would an alternative be? i do not have space in my panel for a "new" double breaker.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-11, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
If it is a 3-conductor plus ground you can. If it is two conductor plus ground it needs to be replaced.

Old 02-06-11, 04:11 PM
thanks ray, it is 10-3 but due to it being buried behind another set of wires in the panel i am unable to tell if it has a ground..

Old 02-06-11, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by bigballer View Post
thanks ray, it is 10-3 but due to it being buried behind another set of wires in the panel i am unable to tell if it has a ground..
If the cord on the dryer is 3 prong, the cable is probably just 10-3 with no grounding conductor.

Old 02-06-11, 04:40 PM
yes it's a 3 prong, so do i need to run new wiring all the way from the panel to make this legal or is it OK to do the junction box as planned for the new run?

Old 02-06-11, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by bigballer View Post
if not what would an alternative be? i do not have space in my panel for a "new" double breaker.
If you do have to run new wire (or even if you think it may be easier), you can use the existing 30A breaker and disconnect the old wire. This may be easiest so you don't have a junction box lying around after the renovation. 20 or 30' of 10/3 wire isn't that expensive.

(just a thought)

Old 02-06-11, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
And the dryer will need to converted to 4 wire as per manufacturers instructions. That basically involves replacing the cord set and removing the bonding strap between neutral and chassis ground.

Old 02-06-11, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also keep in mind that there COULD be a ground (it may be hanging loose or clipped back) in that cable. If there is, then you can re-use it and just change the receptacle and cordset to 4 wire.