Transfer Switch Question

Old 02-06-11, 09:54 PM
Transfer Switch Question

Hello All,
Can someone explain to me how a Reliance transfer switch #15114a rated at 15amps total at the inlet, supply the 4 circuits rated at 15 amps each?
In theory, if I were to pull 14 amps from each of the 4 circuits, the breakers would not trip but my inlet load would be 56 amps.
How does the transfer switch protect the inlet Nema 5-15 inlet plug under these conditions?
Does the transfer switch solely rely on my generator's 120 volt @20amp breaker to protect the cord & plug from drawing too much power?
I would never use that much power but just curious about this scenario.
Thank's

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by powerblock View Post
Does the transfer switch solely rely on my generator's 120 volt @20amp breaker to protect the cord & plug from drawing too much power?
Yes, the generator's breaker is responsible for protecting anything plugged in to it. The transfer switch itself is probably rated to 60A or 100A so there's no need to fuse the incoming supply separately.

Old 02-07-11, 09:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just make sure you use a good heavy cord to connect the generator to the switch, and keep the length to a minimum. Your standard orange cord is only going to be 16 or 14ga, but you want to use a 12ga cord to minimize voltage drop and prevent burning the cord at full load.