Replacing Power Cord on an old electric drill

Old 02-06-11, 10:03 PM
Replacing Power Cord on an old electric drill

I have an old Black & Decker drill from the 1970's (I think) and the cord has seen better days and needs to be replaced. The drill works great and is very powerful so I prefer to fix it and not toss it (Anyway the newer drills are Crap)
I went to the Orange Box store and I can only seem to find black replacement cords the original cord is Orange and I would like to keep that color if at all possible (I know extension cords are orange but the OEM BD cord is only 2-wires and the drill is Double Insulated that does not need a ground wire plus I think it is only 18 Gauge and most extension cords are 16 Gauge
So what would you do in this situation (Other then buy a new tool)?

Thanks
Here are some pictures of said drill

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I doubt you will find a replacement cord in orange except from BD. I can't wrap my brain around the reason for keeping it orange....only two cups so far. Replacement cords in black are readily available and will fit the unit, with the exception of the strain relief, which needs replacing as well. You will have to search for that, and don't install the cord without one, as it really helps to keep the cord from breaking prematurely. Tool looks to be in good shape!

Old 02-07-11, 05:47 AM
Cord

You could cut the cord below the tape and use the remaining, shorter length. The cord would be shorter, but will be orange color.