Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with APC's UTS transfer switch line?

Old 02-07-11, 11:58 AM
RK2

I'm reconsidering my backup power design, and while I was perusing the Honda generator section I stumbled on the APC UTS10BI transfer panel. It's advertised hardly anywhere, so I'm having trouble finding user feedback outside of the APC forums. It definitely has some shortcomings that I can see, but it's also relatively inexpensive. Anyone have experience with this panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No experience with this transfer switch, other than to say that I've been happy with APC's equipment in the past.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-11, 12:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow that looks like a real nice switch system! I wish I had known about it sooner, because it isn't much more than I paid for my Gen/Tran manual switch! I'm really tempted to buy one of those and sell the manual one. I love the fact that it has a UPS loop designed into it that'll keep certain loads up and running until the generator kicks on (that was just the topic if a thread too!)

Old 02-08-11, 07:30 AM
RK2
Yeah the UPS thread is actually what reminded me to ask in the forum.

The major drawback I see is the fuse technology. It would be really nice to have breakers. Another is that for auto-start you have to have the UPS port powered. The logic board can't be powered by the generator battery like some other panels. And the main power comes from the 20A 240V circuit ... but I don't have anything smaller than 30A in the main panel, so I'd have to waste the circuit just for ATS power.

Wish i could find a picture of the internals somewhere. If you end up buying it, take a snapshot or two?