Anyone have experience installing Laticrete warming mats?

Old 02-07-11, 03:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone have experience installing Laticrete warming mats?

Ok, so upon purchasing this, it seemed as if it would be an easy install, but the directions aren't clear and customer service is closed, so figured I would come out on here and ask away. I did a search, but couldn't find anything, so hopefully this will be an informative thread. I am installing a 3X5 Laticrete Heating mat. Now the directions seem to be straight forward, until it gets to the electrical. Now on one sections, it says to use conduit for the Line wire that goes to the mat to the thermostat, and another piece of conduit for the temperature sensor wire. But another just says to run the wires up to the box? Any thoughts on that?

Also, there is probably a good 5 feet of extra wire from the sensor cable and the line wire from the mat. The directions don't mention anything about cutting the wire to fit. I normally wouldn't have any hesitation, but the 3 wires(Hot, Neut, Ground) are not coded. Meaning there is no color indicating which one is which. Can these wires be cut to length, or do you run it around the mat, embed it in the floor until enough gets up to the box, or can it be cut?

Anyone with an idea, I am all ears.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Duramax66L View Post
it says to use conduit for the Line wire that goes to the mat to the thermostat, and another piece of conduit for the temperature sensor wire. But another just says to run the wires up to the box? Any thoughts on that?
I have not installed that brand before, but the ones I've done run the heater cable and the sensor cable in the same conduit. You should run the conduit down the wall space and notch out the sole plate in the wall so you can make a smooth bend into the mortar bed.

The directions don't mention anything about cutting the wire to fit.
The sensor cable can be trimmed, so can the leader part of the heat cable. Leave about 8-12" of working length in the box. The heat portion of the cable cannot be trimmed and must be completely embedded in the mortar coat.

I normally wouldn't have any hesitation, but the 3 wires(Hot, Neut, Ground) are not coded.
The neutral often has a rib texture on the insulation. Ground can be rung out with a continuity tester to the metal skin on the heat cable.

Old 02-07-11, 03:30 PM
Hey IP,
Thanks for the reply! I mean the way the manual makes it sound, is that there is also resistance coming out of those wires, hence 2 separate conduits. I guess if I am going to put one in, I might as well just put in 2. What will it take me 5 extra minutes to put in? I'm going to run 1/2" for both. Manual says 3/4" for the lead wire and 1/2" for the temp sensor.
Your answer to my second question was really what I was after. I was worried that you wouldn't be able to cut that. Instruction says to "stuff remaining wire back into the box. I have a 4x4 deep box with a mud plate, that much wire would have no chance in H&*^ to fit in that box.
And the thirst answer, you are right, normally it would. But would Laticrete do that? NOOOOOOO! After looking at it closer, really it is only your Hot and Neut wires with woven metal sheathing acting as the ground and then shrink wrap around everything.
But thank you for your reply. The best part was running 12/2 from my master bath upstairs all the way to the panel in the basement. Talked to the Laticrete rep, tells me you MUST do a dedicated 12/2 on a 20 amp circuit. And then the instructions says dedicated 15 amp. Their instructions are about as clear as Schluter's directions on Ditra and Kerdi and what Trowel size to use. Go Figure! Thanks again!

Old 02-07-11, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
I installed on of the Suntouch systems and used two conduits. If the wires are fished there was no need for the conduits.

I left all the extra in the back of a deep 4" square box.

I doubt that your mat needs a 20 amp circuit for the 3x5 mat.

Old 02-07-11, 04:35 PM
If the wires are fished there was no need for the conduits.
I lost you there. If there weren't any conduits, there wouldn't be a need for wires to be fished. You're just drilling holes in the bottom plate and then bringing them up the stud to the box. Right? If I am picturing that right.
I left all the extra in the back of a deep 4" square box.
Yeah 5' of extra is way too much to put in that box.
And the 20 AMP is probably overkill, but I had to run the lines anyways, and 12/2 was all I had on hand, so in it went.