Electrical problem

Old 02-08-11, 06:03 AM
Electrical problem

Hi all,

I have a problem with no power going to 2 sockets in my kitchen. One is in a cabinet where my microwave is plugged in to and the other is on the backsplash below and to the right of my microwave. The installer who put the microwave in installed it a couple of years ago and I have not had any problems until the last couple of weeks. I have been having some power fluctuations when running the microwave and just thought it was something going bad in the GE microwave but now there is no power going to those 2 sockets. I replaced the socket in the cabinet before I noticed the other socket out as well and nothing happened. I check my circuit breakers and cannot find any of them that are tripped.

I have the microwave now plugged into a GFI socket with an extension cord and it works fine.

What possibly could be the problem with no power going to those 2 sockets and what can I try now to fix this?

Thanks,

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
As you will find out its probably another GFI somewhere. Sometimes they are hard to find because it might be tied to a socket like outside, bathroom..ect. Look around the house for all your GFI's and see if they are all reset.

Mike NJ

Old 02-09-11, 08:21 PM
Kitchen definitely suggests a tripped GFI. Also use the Test function on all your GFI's, if your problem is caused by a GFI going bad (and they do all too often), then the Test button should fail.

If the problem isn't GFI's, there's one more step you can do without actually getting into electrical work. Pull the covers off the outlets in your kitchen area and look for signs of a loose wire. A wire that is loose but not obviously falling off will often have black marks on the metal from arcing. If the wire is stranded, look for a loose strand.

Old 02-10-11, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the "check for GFCI" procedure fails, check each receptacle (power off) for stab backs. Remove all stab backs to screws. GFCI's use screw secured pressure plates from the back so they aren't "stabs", just a better way of doing things.