Wireless 3-way switch problem

Old 02-08-11, 12:55 PM
Wireless 3-way switch problem

This is my first post. I live in Minneapolis, MN. I recently bought a 1905 home with old wiring. It does have circuit breakers. I'd like to install a wireless 3-way switch but ran into problems. The instructions for the new switch said to remove the old switch, unhook the two wires and join the two wires of the new switch. It said that if the old switch had three wires attached to it to call an electrician. Can anyone help me so that I can do-it-myself. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
The instructions for the new switch said to remove the old switch, unhook the two wires and join the two wires of the new switch. It said that if the old switch had three wires attached to it to call an electrician.
A 3-way switch always has three connections so that doesn't quite make sense. It sounds like it isn't a 3way switch but a 3-function switch. Is there another switch in a different location that also controls the light/fan? Do you have cables going into the switch box? How many wires not counting the grounds? Make and model of switch.

Old 02-09-11, 08:26 PM
Start by reading the instructions on your device really carefully. When I read "wireless 3-way switch" my mind translates that to "replaces a basic single switch with a wireless receiver/switch and a remote control that gives you the function of a 3-way switch". The key being that it's designed to replace a single switch, not a 3-way... giving you the functionality of a 3-way where the wiring doesn't exist.

If this is the case then I don't think that product will do what you were hoping for. Did you keep the receipt?

Old 02-11-11, 06:11 AM
What is the manufacturer of the wireless switch you are trying to install? Also, did the existing switch only have two wire cinnected to it? Are there any other wires in the box?

Old 02-11-11, 07:20 AM
I just installed a smarthome brand of this switch and it worked fine. Are you sure the 3rd wire you're looking at is not just the ground wire for the switch? I had one also and there is a connection for it.only problem I ran into was the switch also supplied power to another switch for outside light so had to make a pigtail which took up more room but other than that it worked fine.

Old 02-11-11, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with the intrepretation of MM. The OP is trying to add the functionality of a 3W without additional wiring.

To OP, what is the third wire you are talking about?