Wire connector type

Old 02-09-11, 05:15 PM
Wire connector type

I have a 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 box that has 5 12/2 romex wires entering it. What would be the best wire connector to use to splice together the 5 wire pairs. I know this is a large amount of wires so I was wondering if there was some type of block I should be using instead of large wire nuts? Also, these wires are in a box in an attic, if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-11, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am assuming that you are asking about a splice with 5 #12s in one connection. A large red or a large blue or gray wire nut should fit that combination. You can check the package label for the allowable combinations.

There are also push-in type connectors like this

In-Sure™ Push-In Wire Connectors

Old 02-09-11, 08:24 PM
If the wires are stranded, a big wire nut is okay. Just make sure it's an appropriate size.
If the wires are solid, you're better off with a push-in style connector. Twisting together more than 4 solid wires is a bad idea. Basically one of the 5+ wires ends up in the center, and effectively isn't "twisted together" at all. Furthermore, a wire in the center won't come in contact with the threads on the inside of the wire nut that provide a modest amount of mechanical connection.

If they are solid, and you want to use wire nuts anyways, my suggestion is split them up into a set of 2 and a set of 3, with a jumper in between. So you don't have more than 4 wires under each nut. This may also be easier to assemble, as it's much easier to get 3 wires to line up side by side than it is to get 5. Especially if the box isn't in a great location for working on.