Help! What kind of plug is this??

Old 02-10-11, 03:37 PM
Question Help! What kind of plug is this??

I recently bought a used stackable washer/dryer in the plug doesn't fit into the standard 220v outlet in my apartment. The maintenance guy couldn't identify what kind of plug it is, but he's not an electrician. I'm hoping that I can potentially find a converter that would fit the plug so I don't have to hire someone to switch the whole thing out. So, anyone know what this is?? (The washer/dryer is a Kenmore, so its not some obscure company either)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-11, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is a NEMA 10-30, meaning it is for a 30 amp 3 wire circuit. If the apartments are new, they probably have a 4 wire set up. You didn't describe the wall receptacle. Can you picture that for us?

Old 02-10-11, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like a 10-30p. If this is a newer apartment it probably has 4 wire receptacle. You will need to change the cord set on the appliance to match the receptacle, probably a 14-30R. You will need to remove the bonding strap and connect the ground wire from the cord set in place of it.

Adapters are not available because they would reduce safety.

Old 02-10-11, 03:51 PM
I can't get a picture as the outlet is blocked by the washer/dryer at the moment, but I just peeked around and yep, its got 4 holes in it. Anyone know what it would cost to get the cord changed out? There's no way I'm savvy enough to do it safely myself. I just want to do my laundry.

Old 02-10-11, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Changing out is easy but if you don't feel up to it call around and get some prices. Do not let any of the people who didn't recognize the plug do it. The plug is very common so if they know electric they should have recognized the plug.

Old 02-10-11, 04:09 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate the help. At least now I know what I'm dealing with.

Old 02-10-11, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's nothing to be afraid of. Changing out a range/dryer cord is one of the simplest things to do. The replacements are available at any hardware store for about $20. Just ask for a 4 prong dryer cord, and they will get you what you need.

Here's a page that pretty much sums up how to change it yourself. It only takes a few minutes and you'll save yourself a bill from the handyman.

The Appliance Clinic: Changing a Dryer Cord and Plug, 3 prong to 4 prong