Inverter and 240v

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-10-11, 06:36 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5
Inverter and 240v

I'd like to utilize some solar power and have a ready battery backup for the occasional power outage. The problem I'm running into is one of the first circuits I'd like to provide electrical power for is the well pump which is 240v. There are many 2000W - 4500W dc to ac inverter systems on the market that will provide sufficient backup power, but they all have 120v outlets on them. Is there any way I can power a 240v well pump off of one of these inverters? If not, does anyone have suggestions on 1) determining the wattage requirement of my well pump and 2) suggestions on 240v inverters?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-10-11, 07:48 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 484
For the well pump, you'd need to read the data plate on the motor itself. I'm assuming it is a submersible pump and you'd have to pull it. How deep? How many HP?

What size breaker is it on? At least we'd know the max load.

You'll need a true sine wave inverter to run the motor. Xantrex makes some "stackable" inverters. You'd need two for your system:

Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter
 
  #3  
Old 02-11-11, 12:21 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 251
1: You may not use 2 120V inverters to make 240V if they not are made for it. The problem will be synchronizing the frequency.

2: you may use an inverter and a transformer to the voltage you need. The easiest way is to start with 240V and use an auto-transformer with the mid point as Neutral (grounded)

3: You know you will need a huge battery (bank) to support this?

good luck

dsk
 
  #4  
Old 02-11-11, 12:22 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by aandpdan View Post
For the well pump, you'd need to read the data plate on the motor itself. I'm assuming it is a submersible pump and you'd have to pull it. How deep? How many HP?

What size breaker is it on? At least we'd know the max load.

You'll need a true sine wave inverter to run the motor. Xantrex makes some "stackable" inverters. You'd need two for your system:

Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter
Or he can just get a very reliable 240v Inverter. Sunny Boy, Fronius, and Power-One are some of the best ones out there. I would recommend PVI Aurora inverters. They are easy to install, clean looking, and much lighter that other brands.
 
  #5  
Old 02-11-11, 01:38 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by d_s_k View Post
1: You may not use 2 120V inverters to make 240V if they not are made for it. The problem will be synchronizing the frequency.
d_s_k is correct. The inverters I posted are designed for just such a purpose, hence "stackable."
 
  #6  
Old 10-03-11, 08:14 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southeast MI
Posts: 77
240V Inverters

Xantrex makes several stackable Pro-Sine SW-series inverters that aandpdan referred to. This two-unit setup includes a "SYNC" cable in between the two units that correctly locks the frequency and phase of the Slave unit to the Master unit provide the same 120/240VAC split-phase output as seen from the PoCo, just a bit less current (like 20-30A). Another option is Xantrex's newer XW-series of inverters that put out the same 120/240VAC Split-phase output all in one unit. They're more expensive, but if you're able to afford it, it's a much simpler setup that the stacked units.

Hope this helps,

-Steve
 
  #7  
Old 10-03-11, 09:03 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by kshomper View Post
does anyone have suggestions on 1) determining the wattage requirement of my well pump
I would just use an amp clamp. But I'm not an electrician. Am I missing something? Worked fine to figure out the load of my air conditioner condenser.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'