Inverter and 240v

Old 02-10-11, 06:36 PM
Inverter and 240v

I'd like to utilize some solar power and have a ready battery backup for the occasional power outage. The problem I'm running into is one of the first circuits I'd like to provide electrical power for is the well pump which is 240v. There are many 2000W - 4500W dc to ac inverter systems on the market that will provide sufficient backup power, but they all have 120v outlets on them. Is there any way I can power a 240v well pump off of one of these inverters? If not, does anyone have suggestions on 1) determining the wattage requirement of my well pump and 2) suggestions on 240v inverters?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-11, 07:48 PM
For the well pump, you'd need to read the data plate on the motor itself. I'm assuming it is a submersible pump and you'd have to pull it. How deep? How many HP?

What size breaker is it on? At least we'd know the max load.

You'll need a true sine wave inverter to run the motor. Xantrex makes some "stackable" inverters. You'd need two for your system:

Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter

Old 02-11-11, 12:21 AM
1: You may not use 2 120V inverters to make 240V if they not are made for it. The problem will be synchronizing the frequency.

2: you may use an inverter and a transformer to the voltage you need. The easiest way is to start with 240V and use an auto-transformer with the mid point as Neutral (grounded)

3: You know you will need a huge battery (bank) to support this?

good luck

dsk

Old 02-11-11, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by aandpdan View Post
For the well pump, you'd need to read the data plate on the motor itself. I'm assuming it is a submersible pump and you'd have to pull it. How deep? How many HP?

What size breaker is it on? At least we'd know the max load.

You'll need a true sine wave inverter to run the motor. Xantrex makes some "stackable" inverters. You'd need two for your system:

Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter
Or he can just get a very reliable 240v Inverter. Sunny Boy, Fronius, and Power-One are some of the best ones out there. I would recommend PVI Aurora inverters. They are easy to install, clean looking, and much lighter that other brands.

Old 02-11-11, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by d_s_k View Post
1: You may not use 2 120V inverters to make 240V if they not are made for it. The problem will be synchronizing the frequency.
d_s_k is correct. The inverters I posted are designed for just such a purpose, hence "stackable."

Old 10-03-11, 08:14 AM
240V Inverters

Xantrex makes several stackable Pro-Sine SW-series inverters that aandpdan referred to. This two-unit setup includes a "SYNC" cable in between the two units that correctly locks the frequency and phase of the Slave unit to the Master unit provide the same 120/240VAC split-phase output as seen from the PoCo, just a bit less current (like 20-30A). Another option is Xantrex's newer XW-series of inverters that put out the same 120/240VAC Split-phase output all in one unit. They're more expensive, but if you're able to afford it, it's a much simpler setup that the stacked units.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

Old 10-03-11, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by kshomper View Post
does anyone have suggestions on 1) determining the wattage requirement of my well pump
I would just use an amp clamp. But I'm not an electrician. Am I missing something? Worked fine to figure out the load of my air conditioner condenser.