Need to add a second meter base

Old 02-12-11, 03:09 PM
Need to add a second meter base

There are two dwellings with one (1) meter base. What is the best approach to add a second meter base so that each dwelling has its own meter ? I have an idea, but am not sure....Appreciate any assistance on this issue. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-11, 03:32 PM
meter pak.you can get what you want.two meters with two main disconnects.if both dwellings need 100 amp you need a 200 amp meter pak.

Old 02-12-11, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by DocArt View Post
There are two dwellings with one (1) meter base. What is the best approach to add a second meter base so that each dwelling has its own meter ? I have an idea, but am not sure....Appreciate any assistance on this issue. Thank you.
Are the two dwellings in the same building or are they separate structures? If the same building, yes, the meter pak will work. If they are two separate structures, consult your power company because some companies won't allow it.

Old 02-12-11, 05:49 PM
They are two separate structures. Can I tap into the existing meter pedestal, where the current, main incoming line is from the ground transformer. I can then add a second meter and base next to the existing meter, for the second structure. Since both structures are tied to the single (current) meter, adding another meter would seem rather easy. I am concerned about tapping into either the existing meter (to run the second, added meter), or must I run a line directly from the ground transformer ? Plus, any ideas on what I should charge these folks ? Appreciate any insights.

Old 02-13-11, 07:20 AM
Your plan sounds good to me, but I doubt you can tap the existing meter base at the pedestal. My guess is the PoCo will want a either a separate line from the transformer for the second meter or a tap box installed ahead of the meter pedestal that will then feed both meters. Call the PoCo and ask for a meeting and see what they will require.

Old 02-13-11, 09:32 AM
Thank you Casual Joe

Appreciate your input... Thanks. Our power company here, in Montana, is exceptionally cooperative out here in mountain country. Have a great weekend.