Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing a 220 line for welder in garage, need some help

Old 02-13-11, 08:24 AM

I have a welder that runs off 220 and needs a dual pole 50 amp breaker. I am going to be using the welder in an attached garage (it's drywalled). The house was built in 2000 (I live in NJ) and has a 150 amp cutler hammer box. there is an open slot to add a new breaker.

Questions:
1) Is there a minimum height requirement the outlet must be installed at? I've done some searching and think it's 48 inches but I'd like confirmation or correction.

2) Is there a requirement that an outlet must be a certain distance from the electrical box? My box is in the garage and I'd like to put the receptacle either right next to or about a couple of feet away through one stud. (It's recessed between 2 studs and ideally I'd drill a hole through one of those studs and mount it on the other side of the stud.)

3) The welder will be the only item hooked up to this breaker so I believe that means it's considered a dedicated breaker. If that matters does the breaker HAVE to be a GFCI or can a traditional breaker suffice?

4) I plan on using 6 gauge wire. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-11, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
1) Is there a minimum height requirement the outlet must be installed at? I've done some searching and think it's 48 inches but I'd like confirmation or correction.
In commercial garages you are required to have receptacles higher then 18". Residential garages there is no requirement however some locals do enforce the 18" rule anyway due to stored flammable liquids. If it were me, I'd put it at 48" just for ease of access.

2) Is there a requirement that an outlet must be a certain distance from the electrical box? My box is in the garage and I'd like to put the receptacle either right next to or about a couple of feet away through one stud. (It's recessed between 2 studs and ideally I'd drill a hole through one of those studs and mount it on the other side of the stud.)
You can pretty much put it anyplace you want. You could even hang it off the panel with a nipple.

3) The welder will be the only item hooked up to this breaker so I believe that means it's considered a dedicated breaker. If that matters does the breaker HAVE to be a GFCI or can a traditional breaker suffice?
A normal breaker is fine. No GFCI is required.

4) I plan on using 6 gauge wire. Correct me if I'm wrong.
#6 is fine with any wiring method you choose.

Old 02-14-11, 12:45 PM
Thank you for your help. 25characters....................