Wiring question

Old 02-14-11, 12:30 PM
Wiring question

I took down an old ceiling fixture in my kitchen but didn't mark the wires. Now I want to put up a new ceiling light fixture and I need opinions on whether I've got the wiring right.

The old fixture covered a junction box. There are two sets of wires coming into in the junction box. One has 2 wires (B&W) the other has 3 (B,W,Red) Both sets have a ground wire.

The light is controlled by a switch (next to the sink) that is part of a set of three switches (the ceiling light that I'm replacing, a ceiling exhaust fan - and the disposal.) The disposal is on it's own breaker and is not affected by the other switches. When I disconnected the wires from the old ceiling fixture, the exhaust fan no longer works either).

I believe the red wire from the three line wire goes off to supply power to the ceiling exhaust fan and I believe the two wire line (B&W) are the power and neutral coming into the junction box. The new ceiling fixture has a black and a white and a ground wire.

From what I'm reading, I believe I should connect the two white wires coming in from the two separate wires in the box - to the white wire from the new fixture. And then connect the two black wires coming in to the box to each other - and then connect the black wire from the new fixture to the red wire going out. Then connect all grounds together.

Does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-11, 12:36 PM
Wires

Tell us about all the wires at the switches. We need to figure out if the power comes in at the switches or at the ceiling. If at the ceiling, then you would have switch loops. So tell us about all the wires at the switches.

Old 02-14-11, 12:43 PM
Will do but I need to pull them out to look at them. Will send as soon as I've done so.

Old 02-14-11, 01:11 PM
The switch box has three switches with three sets of wires coming in. The first (farthest left) is the switch that controls the ceiling fan, the middle switch controls the exhaust fan and the third switch (right) controls the disposal. The left and middle switches share 2 sets of wires - one is a 2 wire (B&W) and the other is a 3 wire (BWR). The switch for the disposal has its own set of wires in and isn't connected to the others.

Both switches only have two screws - one on left and one on the right. The switch that controls the ceiling light has a red wire (coming in from the 3 wire line) connected to the left side screw (no other wores are connected to this screw).

The right side screw has a short black wire going out to the left side screw of the middle switch (Exhaust fan switch). (No other wires are connected to the left switch.) The middle (Exhaust fan) switch has a second black wire connected to the left screw going out to the black wire of the BWR wire coming in. The right side screw of the middle (Exhaust fan) switch has a black wire connecting to the Black wire on the 2 wire (BW) wire. The white wire of the BWR wire coming in, is connected to the white wire of the 2 wire (BW) wire.

Does that give you enough info?

Old 02-14-11, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your assumption is a very common wiring method. I think I would try that first.

Caveat: A lot of newer fixture require 80 degree C rated insulation. NM cable with this rating will have NM-B on the sheath. This started around 1987 or so. If your wiring is not 90 degree rated and your fixture requires it other changes need to happen.

Old 02-14-11, 02:02 PM
Wouldn't I just run NMD90 between the junction box and the new light fixture?

Old 02-15-11, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If 90C wiring is required, yes. By the way NMD is a Canadian designation, the US designation is NM-B.

Old 02-17-11, 01:04 PM
Wiring problem solved

Just a quick thank you for all the posts about my wiring questions for the light fixture over our kitchen sink. Just finished it today and it works perfect. Best of all - wife is happy.

This is a great forum and you all do a great service. Thanks again for the help.

Bert Hockins

Old 02-17-11, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
And thank you for letting us know how it worked out. Glad you made your wife happy.