Electric Thermostat wiring question

Old 02-15-11, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Thermostat wiring question

Ok the problem im having is the wires coming from my wall (top pic) the black and white wires on the left are hot. the black and white wires on the right are cold. How should i hook these up to the thermostat which has two black wires and two red wires.

Thanks for the help in advanced=)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-11, 03:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is this a line voltage thermostat? Is it 120v or 240v. How was the previous one wired?

Old 02-15-11, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its to an electric baseboard heater 240 volts. There was no previous one wired. How would i know if its a line voltage Thermostat?

Old 02-15-11, 05:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The wiring and the fact it is a baseboard heater indicate it is line voltage. Just needed to know if it was 240v or 120v to know if you needed a single pole or double pole connection.

Check the thermostat to see if there are markings beside each wire. If two of them are marked line those are the two wires the hot wires hook to. If no marks and you don't have a multimeter try the black to the hot pair from the house and the reds to the not hot pair. This is guess of course and could damage the thermostat and or trip a breaker.

Best would be to look at the included instructions. If no instructions and you have a multimeter set to resistance and turn the thermostat on at lowest temperature. Check that black to black reads infinity and the bottom red to bottom black reads continuity.