New 220V dryer plug and outlet burned up Why?

Old 02-15-11, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New 220V dryer plug and outlet burned up Why?

Ok...First the Roper dryer timer broke...repair man fixed it and a month later the dryer stopped working again...so I thought it was the timer switch again but it was not...it was the outlet burned up...I didnt understand why in the world would a brand new outlet and a brand new plug burn up? yes it was all connected tight...and was set up right...lol thinking maybe its this old house and the old wiring,......anyone have any ideas? so this house dont burn down with me and my kids in it!!!! thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-11, 09:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What size breaker on the circuit. Is it 3-wire or 4 wire?

Old 02-15-11, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A receptacle that burns up is almost always due to a loose connection. It can be loose if the lugs were not tightened properly, if the stabs in the receptacle or on the cord are worn out or loosened (by tripping on the cord for example), or if aluminum wire is improperly joined to copper wires or terminals. Other less common factors would be water/condensation getting into the box or some type of creature (rodent, bugs) getting in there and shorting something out.

Old 02-15-11, 09:15 PM
3 wire plug.....................

Old 02-15-11, 09:18 PM
Ok maybe the repair man didnt put it back right?? lol....but its not where anyone gets to it... or the washing machine wiggled it loose...I just hope it dont do it again... ...

Old 02-16-11, 05:09 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I didnt understand why in the world would a brand new outlet and a brand new plug burn up?
Evidently they were just replaced if they were brand new. Why were they replaced?

Old 02-16-11, 06:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A faulty heat element and breaker could do this. Unlikely but would explain it. First though as Casual Joe asked why were the cord and plug replaced and as I asked what size breaker. Is it a FPE panel?