Wiring question

Old 12-26-00, 11:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am wiring a bathroom vent/light/night light/heater. Th ewattage of the heater is 1500W; the nameplate for the fan motor for the heater shows .91A; in order to use the existing wiring, the 2 would have to be wired together; the wiring is ordinary "romex" type cable; the breaker is 15A and feeds 2 convenience receptacles in the room adjacent(a TV is plugged into 1 and a clock radio into the other). Should I be concerned about overloading the circuit or overheating the wiring (more of a safety issue)?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-00, 11:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry Mike, but this will never work. It's not so much a safety issue (since the breaker will protect you), but the breaker will trip every time you turn on the heater. Please pull a separate 12 gauge wire from the panel to the heater.

The heater alone will use about 13 amps. The fan will use another amp. The TV will use about 2 amps. So you can see that a 15 amp circuit will never handle it. Normally, you should never plan to use more than 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit. Of course, I'm sure you know that replacing the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker would be a very stupid thing to do, and you should not even consider it for a second.

Furthermore, I don't think you want the fan and heater on the same switch -- what's the point in generating heat if the fan is going to immediately pump it all outdoors?

Old 12-26-00, 05:55 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
JOhn Nelson said it quick and said it right. If you are going to use this type of exhaust fan and heater fan then run a dedicated 12 ga 20 amp 120 volt circuit for that new piece of equipment.

Now here is words for thought.

I suggest you take your heater fan exhaust fan back and buy an infrared heat bulb, exhaust fan. This will give you two advantages. Number one the heat bulb only pulls 150 watts at best and the exhaust fan pulls no more than a regular exhaust fan. This type of heat fan light combo should easily be added to your 15 amp circuit that you describe.

Take the following personal opinion in to your thoughts then make a decision.

A wet body coming from a bathtub or shower will feel a flow of air across that body to be cold, no matter how warm the flow of air is.

The infrared heat lamp projects heat but does not heat until it hits the body, thus feeling warm.

I have used this infrared type heat exhaust fans in my bathrooms at my home and my daughter and my ex wife loved it. The exwife loved it so much that she also added these type of infrared heat exhaust fans in her house as replacements.

Try them might make you more satisfied.

Hope this helps

Wg