1965 outlet wall plates - WEIRD shape

Old 02-17-11, 09:49 AM
1965 outlet wall plates - WEIRD shape

Hello,

I bought a condo built in 1965 and the wall plates were old and painted over, so we threw them away. Big mistake as I can't find any replacements. They are an odd shape with the outlet running horizontally and a phone jack (shaped like a circle) on the horizontal end of it. Instead of the more square covers you find today, the shape I need is a long thin rectangle. Any suggestions on where to find a cover for this? I don't want to have to drywall over all the phone jacks; a future owner may be interested in having a landline if they're still around in 5 years or so!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-11, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
with the outlet running horizontally and a phone jack (shaped like a circle) on the horizontal end of it.
While probably grandfathered but if there is no divider between phone and receptacle it is a violation of current code. The round 4 prong jacks are obsolete though adapters can probably be purchased. I'd probably replace with modern old work box. Only a small bit of repair needed if you installed then horizontal using existing box. I wouldn't worry about future occupants but that is just me.

Can you post a picture or two? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Odd to have that many jacks. Are you sure they aren't for a whole house vac system?

Old 02-17-11, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Just a note I moved your post. Fits a bit better in electrical.

Old 02-17-11, 11:58 AM
Is the phone wiring in a separate box, box with divider, or same box?

As already mentioned, a photo would help.

Once you have a photo, you might also check with Mike Sandman ... he's probably seen one. Mike Sandman... Chicago's Telecom Expert Home Page

Old 02-20-11, 10:53 AM
Old 02-20-11, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Excellent link. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately the OP never posted back so the mystery may always remain a mystery.