Correct way to aim Motion Detector Sensor

Old 02-18-11, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct way to aim Motion Detector Sensor

Guys:
Are there any tricks or accurate ways to aim a motion detector sensor on an exterior light. I have two exterior lights, one on my driveway, and one on the side yard of my home.
My driveway is 50 feet long from the house to the street, and the driveway fixture is hung from the underside of the 2nd floor soffit of my house (roughly 20 feet high) There are two bulbs and a motion sensor. Currently, when someone walks out of my house, the light comes on immediately (as it should). When someone drives into my driveway, once they get about halfway up, the light goes on. Both of these are the way I want it to operate. However, when a car drives down my street, the light goes on. I would prefer the light NOT do that. I have tried miltiple times to adjust the aim of the motion detector, but cannot get it right. Any tricks of the trade???

The sideyard light has a similar problem. I have a walkway on the side of the house that leads from my driveway to a deck on the rear of the house. I am attempting to light that walkway whenever someone enter it from the driveway end or from the deck end. This walkway is about 15 feet wide and 25 feet from driveway to deck. My neighbors house is about 40 feet away. The light is about 20 feet up, on the fascia board just below the peak of the garage roof. I have the motion detector aimed essentially straight down, parallel with the walkway (the sensor is a rectangle shape). The problem is that the light tends to come on ONLY when you get close to the deck, or walk off the deck. When walking from the driveway toward the deck, the light doen't come on until you are almost at the deck. Again, any tricks on how to aim this sensor correctly?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-11, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The trick is just put it in test mode and go out and wave your arms around like a fool in the zones you want detected and tweak the aim accordingly. Those things are not that accurate so you can't always get it perfect.

Old 02-18-11, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ibpooks:
Thanks for the reply. The real problem is that I HATE going up and down ladders. When I am up on the ladder with my wife on the ground waving her arms, the sensor sees me. I guess the only way would be for me to get down off of the ladder, wave my arms, and then make an adjustment. The problem with that is I can't see the little red light from the ground. It seems like a catch 22!!!