I'm stuck! Switching from 3-prong to 4-prong dryer plug

Old 02-19-11, 08:56 AM
Question I'm stuck! Switching from 3-prong to 4-prong dryer plug

Hoping someone can help me out. I'm following the instruction manual to switch out the plug on my dryer. I've got all the wire connected except for the green ground wire. The manuel says to remove the green ground wire that's connected to the machine itself, and put it onto the neutral terminal along with the white wire from the cord. Ok, did that. Then it says to put the green ground cord coming from the plug into the external external ground connection (the original green plug, now at the neutral connector, came off of the internal ground connection). Problem is, the green screw does not fit into the external ground connection - only the internal one! This is driving me insane! I'm going to post a few pictures of what I've got going, and I really hope someone can give me hand. We need clean laundry!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 09:16 AM
Nice photos.

I am confused by your statement that "The manuel says to remove the green ground wire that's connected to the machine itself, and put it onto the neutral terminal along with the white wire from the cord."

If you had a 3-wire cord, you might connect the ground to the neutral as shown in your photo. However since you have a 4-wire cord, you want the green grounds separated from the white neutral conductors.

1. Remove the internal ground wire from the white conductor terminal.
2. Put both green conductors on the "internal" ground screw, if they will fit.

If there is not enough clearance, or the screw is not long enough, you should be able to get a self-tapping 10-32 hex head ground screw that will allow you to use both holes. I am guessing the "internal" screw is sheet metal threaded. The "external" screw looks smaller and I am guessing it's machine threaded 10-32. It could also be 8-32 or 6-32 or unthreaded. Can you get any screw to thread in there, like from a receptacle faceplate?

But unless I am missing something, what you want to accomplish is for both of the green wires to be connected to the frame of the dryer and not connected to the white neutral.

Old 02-19-11, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The green with yellow stripe would only be connected on the neutral terminal in a 3 wire setup.