My light fixture won't turn off

Old 02-19-11, 04:34 PM
My light fixture won't turn off

I just replaced an old kitchen fan/ 6 light fixture with a new 6 light fixture. The fixture will not shut off. The ceiling box has a 3 wire cable at the end of a run I believe. I capped off the red wire. I wired the black and white wires to the new fixture and the fixture will not shut off. When I swap the red and black wires at the fixture, the light won't turn on! What can I try now?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You'll need to turn off the power and open the switch up and see what wires are there and let us know. Did you replace all the wires in the canopy EXACTLY like they came off? How many wires do you have at the canopy?

Old 02-19-11, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Coming into the switch box is a white & black wire as well as the ground. The white is connected to white. Black connected to black. One dimmer switch wire is connected to the 2 whites and the other is connected to just the red.

Old 02-19-11, 05:30 PM
When you say canopy, do you mean the fixture? If so, I don't know because it was late and dark last night when I took the old fixture down.

Old 02-19-11, 05:46 PM
I think you helped me answer this. At the switch box, should I remove remove the switch wire from the red and connect it to the two blacks?

Old 02-19-11, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
White to white? Where is the white? Does the white wire have black tape on it near it's end? Where does the dimmer come into this game? Is there two switches in the box that may have controlled the fan and light separately? That is what the red wire is in there for. So when you look at the fixture box in the ceiling, let us know what the red wire is connected to, if anything. It may be capped.
Don't connect wires that weren't originally connected until we get this figured out. Let us know about where each wire and where it is connected.

Old 02-19-11, 08:37 PM
I hope this explains the problem a little better.

A: The ceiling box has 3 wires. #1 is white (no tape or marks). #2 is black. #3 is red. Plus the ground wire.

B: I don't how the old fixture was attached but it has 3 wires. white, black & blue plus a green ground wire.

C: The switch box has an incoming 2 wire cable. #1 is white, (no tape) #2 is black. Plus the ground.

D: The switch box has an outgoing 3 wire cable. #1 white. #2 black. #3 red. plus ground. This goes to the ceiling box.

E: The wires at the switch box are connected as follows: Incoming white to outgoing white. Incoming black to outgoing black. The outgoing RED is ONLY connected to 1 dimmer switch wire. There is only one switch.

F: The dimmer switch has two black wires plus a ground. First black wire is connected to the incoming and outgoing white wires. The other is attached to the outgoing red wire ONLY.

G: The new fixture has 2 wires. One hot and one neutral. (plus the ground)

H: The new fixture was installed as follows: At the ceiling box, I capped off the red wire. I wired the black wire to the hot and the white wire to the neutral. The result is the new fixture will not shut off.

I: When I swap the red and black wires at the fixture, the light won't turn on!

Thanks, Irene

Old 02-19-11, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
If I understand you correctly there is only a dimmer switch and it has only two wires. Only one wire of the dimmer is connected.

Connect the black wire from the two conductor cable to the dimmer. For simplicity I would disconnect the red wire from the dimmer and cap it. Connect the remaining black wire (the one from the 3-conductor cable) to the dimmer. In other words both blacks to the dimmer. Whites connected together. Red not used.

At the light black to black and white to white. Cap the red.

If it still won't work you may have fried the dimmer. Try a regular switch.

Old 02-20-11, 09:00 AM
Thank you, your connection advise worked. However, I just now did fry the dimmer. I will use a regular switch but would prefer a dimmer. What caused the dimmer to do this?

Old 02-20-11, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
However, I just now did fry the dimmer. I will use a regular switch but would prefer a dimmer. What caused the dimmer to do this?
If you connect the dimmer with power on the surge can fry the electronics. Too heavy a load can fry the dimmer. Age can cause it to fail. Even a bulb burning out could do it depending on how the bulb burned out. You didn't detail the circumstances immediately before failure so I really can't say.

Just turn off the breaker and install a new dimmer. You should be fine. Just be sure your dimmer capacity is greater then your load.