Some lights plugs not working

Old 02-19-11, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Some lights plugs not working

Hello this is gonna be a long read but will do my best to make it short and try and cover all the details.

I live in a older mobile home There are no GFI plugs.

Other night i was in the living room area watching tv and working on my pc when all of a sudden the power to it went off so i figured a breaker tripped i went and looked the only breaker that was in tripped was on that went to a old furnace that has been disconected and capped off this breaker is usally switched off any way i flipped it on to flip it back off and it sparked and made a very loud arcing sound and all the lights went out .

I toggled the main nothing went out side and checked the main breaker on the pole wasn't tripped I toggled it any way went back inside and tried main and power came back on came back on Except the plug tv goes to and 2 back bedrooms

I removed the breaker at the bottom that arced and it was burnt you could smell it
I checked the surge protector and it smelled burnt also so i un plugged the TV and DVr and plug in to wall socket. Still nothing also two back bedrooms had no power either.

It was late and so i planned to check it better in the morning anyway about 20 mins later the tv and lights in other room just came on they worked well a couple days later the lights in the main bedroom and living room start flickering it lasted about a few minutes

Today the power to the tv and back bedrooms went out again i reset breaker several times nothing. I went to the store and got a new breaker and a volt tester
i put new breaker in Still no power to the one plug and two rooms

I tested the wires leaving breaker both have power it is a double 15 amp breaker
the top when its off the plug on the left side loses power the bottom turns off right and the ceiling fan.

I removed the plug from wall it is only hooked up by it self no a daisy chain

Can anyone help me here why lights went out the came back on now out again

I can not afford to call a service guy and i know enough not to fry myself i just need to know what to start on

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-11, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I read around some more anyway long story short i went to the outlet that was still working and checked it was getting power i still went a step farther and pulled it from the wall one of the white ground wires was burnt inside of the plug.

I trimmed the wire back and wired black to black white to white and flipped the breaker all the lights came on

I then hooked it up to a new plug but now when i flip the breaker it auto trips can you wire a plug up wrong how should it be wired

Old 02-19-11, 07:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I trimmed the wire back and wired black to black white to white and flipped the breaker all the lights came on
Can you explain this a bit more. Black goes to the brass screw and white goes to the silver screw. Is that what you mean?

Old 02-20-11, 02:42 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Can you explain this a bit more. Black goes to the brass screw and white goes to the silver screw. Is that what you mean?
Also, OP said this is an older mobile home. How old? Is the wiring aluminum?