Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Living Room Circuit reading hot/ground reversed on every outlet

Old 02-20-11, 12:20 PM

Good afternoon,
My experience started back in December with the Xmas tree was plugged into a switched outlet and the lights flickered then the whole circuit went dead. I went through each circuit with an electrical tester was was getting 120 with Hot to ground and Neutral to ground but no reading with Hot to Neutral, researched this and found out about open neutral and if it is the whole circuit, start at the beginning if you had those stab in connections to move them to the screws, I did that on the whole circuit, and to no avail, same readings. I also used one of those plug testers and it reads "hot/ground reversed" and from other posts on this sight appears to be another reading for "open neutral".
I took a long break before going back here today and found the one of the kitchen plugs right before the start of the living room circuit had a hot/neutral reversed, I fixed that because it was actually reversed thinking this might have something to do with the living room circuit, of course, no change, but it that outlet reads properly now. I have 7 outlets on the living room circuit and the last 3 run into the master bedroom. I've gone back to the panel box and replaced the circuit breaker and check the bus bar for any loose neutrals, all is good and tight. I've discovered that the door bell was also on this circuit and I've pulled the wires out and rewired them (34 years of never seeing light, it needed it anyway), no luck there. There is one last thing I've not checked, the attic light, appears to not be working. I've swapped in bulbs that i know work and it did nothing. I can assume it is also on the same circuit and will have to climb in the attic and check the wires and any possible junction boxes. Any advice on anything I may have missed would be good. My wife is getting tired of the extension cords running from working outlets to power my TV and lights. "You might be a redneck if" if what she teases me about. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-11, 02:42 PM
Well I took the plunge and went into the attic and opened up the light switch junction box and found the culprit, a burned through neutral wire! I've reconnected and the attic light does work along with the front porch light, so when the wife returns with some new screw on plastic terminals I'll put all back together and be in business!

Old 02-20-11, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent work. Thanks for letting us know. They really need a sticker on those testers explaining hot/ground reversed may mean open neutral.

Old 02-20-11, 06:08 PM
Ray, thanks! I want to post a photo of the burnt wire, how do I do this?

Old 02-20-11, 06:18 PM
[IMG]http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd366/BRIANKGAY1/?action=view&current=ElectricalO*****sue.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-11, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Your user name appended by Photobucket to picture title contains a 5 letter combination that the forum software replaces with asterisks. I did look and it appears it was a faulty connection in the wire nut.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-20-11 at 08:34 PM.