Installing subpanel in a boiler room - OK?

Old 02-22-11, 07:30 PM
Installing subpanel in a boiler room - OK?

Hi!

There is already an existing subpanel in the boiler room which supplies 3 rooms in the basement and power for the washing machine. Gas furnace and gas hot water heater are in the boiler room. I will be upgrading the remaining 9 circuits (I already ran new wires for 3 others) throughout the house and had an idea of running the new wire to the subpanel (which will need to be expanded) in the boiler room because the run/access is so much easier. The subpanel is currently supplied with a 50A fuse from the main and some really heavy gauge cable - I would upgrade the cable for the subpanel as well.
so..is it OK to install a subpanel in a boiler room?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-11, 09:03 PM
As long as you have the required clearance, 30 inches wide from floor to ceiling and a minimum of 36 inches in front of the panel (also floor to ceiling) there is no problem. The panel does NOT need to be centered in the 30 inch width.

Old 02-22-11, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I didn't quiet get that - the wall needs to be a minimum width of 30"? with the panel at any location on that wall? 36" clearance in front of the panel, but what do you mean floor to ceiling?

Old 02-22-11, 10:58 PM
Just what I wrote. Envision a box that is 30 inches wide, 36 inches deep (front to back) and as tall as the ceiling. You need to be able to place that box directly in front of the panel.

Furthermore, the highest circuit breaker handle may not be any more than 78 inches above the floor. Some inspectors may be a little lenient as far as the clearance from the ceiling, i.e. allow a few pipes in what is normally the "clear space" but a strict inspector will want nothing but electrical equipment from the floor to the ceiling in that space defined by the aforementioned virtual box.

These are the regulations as delineated in the National Electrical Code; your local code may be stricter or more lenient.

Old 02-23-11, 10:39 PM
Got it!
The location where the panel is right now, there is about 18" of clearance before the piping for the boiler runs. I'll have to move it onto the opposite wall then.

Thanks again!

Old 02-24-11, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes an existing location will be grandfathered, but that is up to the local inspector if this is a permitted job. You couldn't put a new panel there, but sometimes they will let you replace an existing one.

Old 02-24-11, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Sometimes an existing location will be grandfathered, but that is up to the local inspector if this is a permitted job. You couldn't put a new panel there, but sometimes they will let you replace an existing one.
Restriction being the size of the space or because it is a designated boiler room?

Thank you

Old 02-24-11, 07:33 PM
eugenefks
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Restriction being the size of the space or because it is a designated boiler room?

Thank you
Restriction of space.

Old 02-26-11, 01:04 AM
The biggest issue will useally space requirment but take a photo and show that to the inspector and see what kind rules they will allow under grandfather clause and what not.

And prepare for addtional requirement espcally you mention new circuits you will need either GFCI for unfinshed rooms or AFCI for finshed room if your state require them.

Merci.
Marc