Intersystem Grounding Bridge install?

Old 02-23-11, 01:55 PM
Intersystem Grounding Bridge install?

I need to install an Intersystem Grounding Bridge in order to pass an electrical inspection for a 200amp upgrade. I assume that the ground to my telephone/cable system gets connected to the bridge. My question is where does the ground from the electrical system originate from? Does it come from the ground block in the panel and what gauge wire does it require? The same 4 guage as the rest of the system? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-11, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have ground rods, a water line, a Ufer?

Old 02-23-11, 02:44 PM
The panel is grounded to the water line. As soon as the ground thaws I will have ground rods installed. Wish I new what a "ufer" is so I could answer. Thanks

Old 02-23-11, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally you connect the intersystem bond to the #6 copper conductor that goes outside to the ground rods. The intersystem bonder bars that I have used have a pass-thru lug that you can run the #6 through without breaking it. You mount the bar right on the outside of the house near the electrical service. A Ufer is a grounding connection to the metal rebar in your foundation some house have instead of ground rods.

Old 02-23-11, 04:00 PM
great, I've got it now. thanks a lot

Old 02-23-11, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 02-23-11, 05:20 PM
Those interconnect things look alot better than the odd ways used in my area, and most of which are illegal, stupid, or both.

Old 02-23-11, 07:09 PM
My question is where does the ground from the electrical system originate from? Does it come from the ground block in the panel and what gauge wire does it require? The same 4 guage as the rest of the system?
The minimum wire size is #6 copper. The ground can come from and the bridge can be located at the meter socket enclosure, the service equipment enclosure or the grounding electrode conductor. This is a requirement that many inspectors overlook.