Installing two sub panels, is it OK?

Old 02-27-11, 06:02 AM
Installing two sub panels, is it OK?

New member here, first post!

We are building a garage this spring. Originally, I was going to take the only two breakers (out of 20) in my 100 amp service panel and run a sub panel 80 feet away to the garage.

I was wondering, would it be better have two sub panels?

One sub panel would be installed 30 away from the main panel. This sub panel would free up 3 circuits in the main by taking the living room, 2nd bathroom and basement lights and putting them into the new sub, and also power a 30 amp breaker for the sub panel in the garage.

I know that the best solution would be to upgrade to a 200 amp service, but I just don't have the money for that now.

Does this sound OK?

Located in New Hampshire

Last edited by brjl84; 02-27-11 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Location
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-11, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What sort of load are you expecting in the garage? You can, depending on the type panel you have, use piggy back breakers or a one inch pair of breakers, and reassign a few circuits, leaving a double breaker slot available for your garage. I would only run one subpanel, all the way to the garage, leaving your house panel to handle the entire house.

Old 02-27-11, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
How many slots in the house panel? How many open?

Old 02-27-11, 09:59 AM
Right now, I have a 20 slot panel with two breakers not being used. As far as load, I have no idea besides the normal outlets and two door openers. I may want a compressor, but it would not be a big one.

Old 02-27-11, 10:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have two unused breakers and they are positioned on top of one another, then you have space for a double breaker to service the garage without any other modifications.

Old 02-27-11, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
However you might want to add a subpanel next to the main panel for future use since the garage breaker will fill the panel. However if your panel takes half size breakers there may be no need.